|Bartsch, Nik / Ronin / Holon|
|Artist:||Bartsch, Nik / Ronin||Added:||04/2008|
|Add Date:||2008-04-06||Pull Date:||2008-06-08||Charts:||Jazz|
|Week Ending:||8 Jun||25 May||11 May||27 Apr||20 Apr||13 Apr|
|1.||Aug 05, 2017:||No Old Fart, No Minimum |
|4.||May 02, 2014:||No Cover, No Minimum |
|2.||Feb 09, 2017:||No Cover, No Minimum |
|5.||Oct 11, 2013:||No Cover, No Minimum |
|3.||Jan 19, 2017:||No Cover, No Minimum |
|6.||Sep 30, 2011:||No Cover, No Minimum |
NIK BÄRTSCH’S RONIN: Holon |
Stunning, hypnotic sounds from the borderline between modern jazz and minimalism. The quintet is super-tight: each track is given space to develop slowly and quietly (the ECM sound is unmistakable), gradually pulling you in. Just wonderful, works with jazz/classical/new music.
All tracks amazing. Fo’s faves: 2, 4
1. 6:28 – gentle undulation, icy middle section with distant clarinet
2. 14:51 – quiet minimalist patterns evolve gradually; jazz rhythm kicks in after 5 minutes, then there’s a little more urgency & volume. Nicely busy by the 9-minute mark, great piano solo over the churning rhythm.
3. 8:00 – tiny eddies in a stream, kicks into funky gear, dense pattern near end
4. 7:16 – really pretty pattern, churns gently; turns more jazzy midway through
5. 9:41 – prominent electric bass; gradually morphs into a middle eastern wail
6. 9:23 – quiet bells, moody patterns; exotic & dreamlike, then busts out.
[ Fo ] 6-Apr-08
|1.||Modul 42||4.||Modul 46|
|2.||Modul 41_17||5.||Modul 45|
|3.||Modul 39_8||6.||Modul 44|