|Various Artists / New Orleans Funk|
|Album:||New Orleans Funk||Collection:||Blues|
|Label:||Soul Jazz Records|
|Add Date:||2008-05-04||Pull Date:||2008-07-06|
|Week Ending:||6 Jul||29 Jun||22 Jun||15 Jun||8 Jun||1 Jun||25 May||18 May|
|1.||Mar 02, 2019:||Hanging in the Bone Yard |
Handclapping Song, Rit's Gonna Rain
|4.||Nov 17, 2015:||subwoofer etc |
|2.||Dec 08, 2018:||Hanging in the bone yard |
|5.||Jun 05, 2015:||funk to folk - 'Nawlins! |
Just Kissed My Baby
|3.||Sep 10, 2016:||test patterns |
|6.||May 02, 2015:||Mix Tape |
Here Come The Girls
[coll]: New Orleans Funk: the Original Sound of Funk 1960-75|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 4/25/08
KILLER comp of just what the title says. I love funk already, but I was amazed at how many very different styles are represented here. Great rhythms (duh!), often quite amazing bass (the production is clean as makes no never mind) – in fact, all the instruments on every song are hot. So damn hot and tasty, oh yes!
No FCCs. No tracks that aren’t great – add a couple invisible stars on each. Too many stars might give someone seizures, you know…
1. ***slow, funky crawl with handclaps and plenty of bass. Instrumental solos – undoubtedly influenced “Dance to the Music”…
2. ***a bit uptempo, bouncy strut, falsetto vocals, party sounds.
3. ***a bit downtempo hipwiggler, very bottom-heavy, very cool, very period lyrics (wish we were still that period..)
4. ***downtempo instrumental sashay with ultra-groovy horns.
5. ***downtempo walking funk, more great bass and fun lyrics.
6. ***sheeeit! Insane piano, uptempo instrumental with whistling – doesn’t sound like much of a premise, but godDAMN!
7. ***killer midtempo bossa-funk, vocal chorus, could definitely be the soundtrack for a second-line at Mardi Gras.
8. ****oh SHIT! Crazy crazy funk – the funkiest damn funk you ever heard!
9. ***downtempo bass-driven stroll, Neville’s pretty vocals, sweet and relaxed – but still funky.
10. **downtempo, relaxed walking funk, female vocals, upbeat love song.
11. ***midtempo, relaxed and very groovy instrumental – bass solo! Bongos! Yess!
12. ***very, very relaxed and downbeat, great piano, vocal chorus. Great bit of piano and percussion at end.
13. **midtempo soulful funky wiggle.
14. ****Indian band! Long call and response intro, then second-line paaaaaar-TAY! Oh hell yeah!
15. ***sweet soul music, fine vocals – fine backing vocals, too.
16. ****OWWW!! Check that rhythm section! Oooh, man! Oh yeah – hot female vocals, too. Uh, uh, UH!
17. ***preaching intro, then funky southern-style stroll with mega-wah-wah. Very much a dance song.
18. ****wah-wah intro, then downtempo march strut – funkier’n you’ve ever imagined.
19. ****bit of vocal “fa fa fa” intro, then uptempo and very upbeat mother popcorn funk with terrific female vocals.
20. ***oh damn – completely different (very sweet and extremely relaxed), but completely hot, with Dr. John’s great vocals.
21. ***a bit uptempo and quite energetic, danceable and soulful.
22. *****midtempo dance instrumental with spoken exhortations to dance – awesome rhythm section, and great vocal bits.
23. ***drumline march, that turns into a funky booty celebration.
24. ***a bit downtempo hip wiggler (yeah, they’re hip huggin’!)