|Various Artists / Reggae Riddims An Tings, Spring 2008|
|Album:||Reggae Riddims An Tings, Spring 2008||Collection:||Reggae|
|Artist:||Various Artists||Added:||May 2008|
|Label:||(No Label Information)|
|Add Date:||2008-05-26||Pull Date:||2008-07-28||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||Jul 27||Jul 20||Jul 6||Jun 29||Jun 15||Jun 8||Jun 1|
|1.||Feb 14, 2009:||New World Disorder |
We Need Barack
|4.||Jul 19, 2008:||New World Disorder |
|2.||Aug 02, 2008:||New World Disorder |
|5.||Jul 05, 2008:||New World Disorder |
|3.||Jul 26, 2008:||New World Disorder |
Ready To Go
|6.||Jul 05, 2008:||The Twilight Zone |
Reviewed by Sadie O., 5/21/08|
Brand new Reggae promos from a variety of sources. The Mission Riddim came in the mail, with no information attached, but Track 1 with the Marley lads is currently a massive hit, and for good reason. Tune In Riddim is by Sly and Robbie and came as promo. Jah Cure and One Deck and Popular also came as promos, and A Tropa was available for download from MySpace.
1. ****Mission Riddim is hard-driving martial skank with chimes. The Marley kids have made a great cut with Damian rapping the verses and Stephen chanting the chorus. Killer!
2. ***starts with helicopter and male speaking, fine dancehall diatribe from Elephant Man
3. **just de riddim (see track one).
4. **unsolicited political endorsement, complete with snippets from Obama speeches. Startling!
5. ***Tune In Riddim starts with tape rewinding, then downtempo swingy skank. This cut is notable for reworking of “I Only Have Eyes for You” and falsetto vocals – fun stuff!
6. **unintelligible spoken intro, rather confusing mix of sweet singing and gruff dancehall vocals.
7. **sweetly sung psalm, much of the riddim cut out.
8. **more sweet singing with harmonies, unrequited love song.
9. **rather slowed down version of the riddim, with some female singing and male dancehall praise of a woman.
10. **soundcheck intro, dancehall vocals about the dance, including proud note about his own three-piece suit.
11. ***nonsense and falsetto vocals. Love song, quite giddy. A few seconds of dub at the end.
12. ***manic diatribe by Sizzla, than which what more do you want?
13. **lots of vocal chorus and extra sounds, several voices. About nicing up de dance.
14. *very mellow riddim, acoustic guitar, upful lyrics, several voices.
15. **midtempo sparse electronic skank, 2 voices, angry lyrics.
16. **cute, bouncy electronic dance beat.
17. ***midtempo dubby electronic skank with quite good harmonica.
18. ***downtempo dubby skank, spoken vocals in Brazilian Portuguese. Fine bass solo towards end.
19. **downtempo dub instrumental with more fine bass work. Bits of spoken Rasta preaching.