|Explorers Club, The / Freedom Wind|
|Artist:||Explorers Club, The||Added:||05/2008|
|Add Date:||2008-06-15||Pull Date:||2008-08-17|
|Week Ending:||17 Aug||13 Jul||6 Jul||29 Jun||22 Jun|
|1.||Sep 30, 2008:||Palo Alto Pop Overthrow |
Do You Love Me?
|4.||Aug 16, 2008:||The Tim Show |
Hold Me Tight
|2.||Sep 16, 2008:||Palo Alto Pop Overthrow |
Hold Me Tight, Do You Love Me?, Forever
|5.||Jul 08, 2008:||Deep Fried & Sanctified |
|3.||Sep 16, 2008:||Deep Fried And Sanctified |
|6.||Jul 01, 2008:||Deep Fried & Sanctified |
Explorer’s Club – Freedom Wind|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 6/4/08
Taking a page from the Beach Boys Pet Sounds and running with it – in fact, it doesn’t sound so much derivative to me as much as it sounds like someone discovered the lost acetate of the next record the Beach Boys were gonna put out… I’m not complaining! Absolutely amazing vocals, and simple yet evocative music – works for me!
FCCs – not! I love 5, and like 2, 8, and 11 mucho.
1. 2:33 **bit of guitar and little else for 9 seconds… Midtempo guitar strumming and vocals VERY reminiscent of Pet Sounds-era Beach Boys. Sweet, but the intro is lousy radio.
2. 2:59 ***boopy low-fi with tamborine and slide, and gruff lead vocals. Mm-bop chorus. So silly, but who cares?
3. 3:12 *downtempo with chime-y piano, and VERY Beach Boys-ish vocals, of the mellow and dreamy sort.
4. 2:07 **short spoken intro, impressive vocal harmonies with minimal instrumentation.
5. 2:47 ****totally groovy rockin bop – Beach Boys meet Phil Spector. Cool!
6. 2:23 **strummy waltz instrumental.
7. 3:23 *sugary-sweet vocals, downtempo with strings.
8. 3:45 ***low-key and downtempo, rather slow-dancey, but still somehow really fun, with lots of interesting touches.
9. 2:07 **very slow with falsetto vocals and harmonies. I think I’m getting sucked into the strange spell of these guys, cause this seems like the kind of thing I’d ordinarily hate…
10. 3:18 **slightly downtempo, wall of sound production.
11. 2:35 ***rock ‘n’ roll! So early 60’s, naïve and fun. Gee, life was simple…
12. 3:57 **downtempo and anthemic, with farfisa, only one voice for first minute and a half, then raucous voice joins in; song builds. Kinda Beatles in touches.
|1.||Forever||7.||If You Go|
|2.||Honey, I Don't Know Why||8.||In The Country|
|3.||Don't Forget The Sun||9.||Safe Distance|
|4.||Lost My Head||10.||Hold Me Tight|
|5.||Do You Love Me?||11.||Last Kiss|
|6.||Summer Air||12.||Freedom Wind|