DJ Quest – Questolous
Reviewed by Sadie O., 7/5/08
Scratching, sound collage, hip hop from Frisco. You’d think it would be hard to come up with original sounding scratching, but this stuff is really interesting and compelling. Most vocals are just sound collage snippets, but there are full raps on 3, 7 and 15. It’s all really good and yummy ear food – consider everything with three stars “excellent”.
Lots of FCCs on track 15, otherwise appears clean and toasty.
1. *sound collage, talking and scratching.
2. ***60’s rock intro, then sound collage and scratches, funky beat.
3. ***more midtempo funky beat, hip hop rap. Long outro.
4. **buzz and talk snippets intro, interesting collage with lots of changes.
5. ***midtempo funky beat, all about the scratching. Fun stuff!
6. ***fierce scratch ‘n’ sniff with upright bass and violins.
7. **tones intro, very slow bells riddim and slow hip hop rap.
8. **horror movie dialog intro, enjoyably menacing riddim. Fun with B-movies!
9. *slow backing beat and hyperspeed scratching.
10. *steady trap drum beat, sound collage, subdued scratching.
11. ***slow beat with a bit of rumba feel, boops and hand percussion. Long fade.
12. ***big horns intro, then downtempo funky rubber band beat with hip hop snippets.
13. ***slow electronic percussion and space ship noises. Funky alien movie feel.
14. **electronic growls, slow beat, bits of hip hop vocals.
15. FCCs “shit” several times, including an interlude where it’s sampled over and over. **bloops and shakers, slow slinky beat. Hip hop rap, which is great and all about fun in The Bay, but I’d be cautious about playing it at any hour…
16. **electronic noises and slow trap drum beat, scratching. Processed vocals, another rather menacing sound.