|Pimps Of Joytime, The / High Steppin|
|Artist:||Pimps Of Joytime, The||Added:||06/2008|
|Add Date:||2008-08-10||Pull Date:||2008-10-12|
|Week Ending:||12 Oct||28 Sep||14 Sep||7 Sep||31 Aug||24 Aug||17 Aug|
|1.||Mon, 02 Jul 18:||Farmer Flap-Jack|
|4.||Mon, 29 Sep 14:||Farmer Flap-Jack|
|2.||Mon, 01 Aug 16:||Farmer Flap-Jack|
|5.||Mon, 01 Sep 14:||Farmer Flap-Jack|
|3.||Tue, 30 Jun 15:||Sarah Bellum|
That's Not Bluegrass
|6.||Mon, 10 Mar 14:||Farmer Flap-Jack|
The Pimps of Joytime "High Steppin" – Fun party funky turntable sounds with some latin and soul thrown in. Ok, the name is retarded, but at least they don’t take themselves too seriously. How can you with a name like The Pimps of Joytime? The group is made up of Brian J (doing guitar, drums, keyboards, vocals, etc.) and Black Pearl on turntables. There’s some hard funk, scratching and mixing, soul, latin, psych, dub, and more. Overall the songs are laid back and fun. It’s like going to a party at a friend’s house where you suddenly run into Prince, or at least someone that both sounds and dresses like Prince (shiny blouses and all). Totally worth checking out. FCC clean.|
My Picks: 1, 2, 9
Katie P. 7/15/08
1) Starts with some preaching samples. Drums kick in with a nice midtempo beat and then some fun funky turntablism. Some fun shout-outs introducing the group. Ends abruptly.
2) Steady midtempo walk. Falsetto male vocals. Hard funky groove with a touch of rock/psych mixed in.
3) Laid-back midtempo. Summer fun with maracas, cowbell, and some guitar. Layered male vocals, some falsetto, and some female backups.
4) Starts with some Indian sitar and then goes into a bluesy bounce. Fun party music.
5) Starts with some scratching and samples. Solid midtempo. Layered male vocals, mostly falsetto. Fun party music mixed in with some cheesy sounding smoothed out R&B.
6) Smoother fast midtempo soul-jazz sound. Prominent hi-hat. Laid-back. Male vocals.
7) Starts with keyboard beat and male vocals. Slow ballad that is kinda cheesy. Almost sounds like a joke, but it’s quite earnest at the same time.
8) Piano and staccato beats. Latin, almost salsa feel. Laid-back yet uptempo with male layered vocals. Hip shaker.
9) Starts with a short spoken word sample and then has a few cuts and clips until a solid heavy midtempo beat kicks in. Groovy with wah-wah guitar. Nice background mixing. Minimal lyrics. Cool and fun.
10) Slower midtempo dub sound. Male vocals with really weird lyrics. Either this is hysterical talking about drinking tea, or it’s some innuendo. I like to think it’s just about drinking tea, that’s more funny.
11) Latin flavor midtempo but with keyboard-heavy beats. Fun party music.
12) Short little latin percussion piece.
13) Latin feel with a heavy beat and guitar. Features Cyril Neville on vocals. Light and airy song with a message about respecting water (don’t pollute).
14) Slower soul style ballad. Grab your sweetie and slow-dance. Simple and nice. Ends with about 15-10 seconds left.
|1.||Pjt's High Steppin||8.||Bonita|
|2.||My Gold||9.||San Francisco Bound|
|4.||Long Ride||11.||Hey Mr J|
|5.||Workin All The Time||12.||Chant|
|6.||Street Sound||13.||H2o (Feat. Cyril Neville)|
|7.||Be Good||14.||We Can Find A Way|