|Various Artists / New Orleans Funk Vol. 2|
|Album:||New Orleans Funk Vol. 2||Collection:||General|
|Label:||Soul Jazz Records|
|Add Date:||2008-07-13||Pull Date:||2008-09-14|
|Week Ending:||14 Sep||7 Sep||31 Aug||24 Aug||17 Aug||10 Aug||3 Aug||27 Jul|
|1.||Feb 24, 2020:||Everything |
|4.||Mar 01, 2014:||blues with a feelin |
The Dap, If It's Good To You (It's Good For You), Yeah You're Right, You Know You're Right
|2.||Nov 17, 2015:||subwoofer etc |
The Rubber Band
|5.||Mar 31, 2012:||New World Disorder |
|3.||Feb 14, 2015:||blues with a feelin' |
Chicken Strut, If It's Good To You (It's Good For You)
|6.||Dec 30, 2010:||New Blues Disorder Micromarathon |
New Orleans: the Original Sound of Funk, Vol. 2|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 7/1/08
Volume 2 of the Big Easy Funk comp from Soul Jazz. Seems like the “second line” stuff – the quirky lesser hits. Still excellent, mind you – not a duff track, and some are pure gold.
No FCCs. Try 4, 11, 14, then try em all,
1. 2:35 **stomping beat, twangy guitar, then downtempo funky chicken.
2. 2:29 ***midtempo syncopated wiggle, recitation of aphorisms, James Brown screams, grunts. Gnarly!
3. 2:55 *uptempo keyboards & horns, version of the Dr. John hit. Big guitar solo.
4. 2:45 ****insane whoops, then midtempo guitar-based funk, chicken squawks. Yes, it’s good!
5. 3:11 ***uptempo piano-based – apparently Tequila was invented in Cuba? Who knew?
6. 2:37 **bass intro, slow funky-ass strut, fuzz guitar.
7. 2:55 *uptempo 4/4 bump, husky female vocals.
8. 2:51 **uptempo hip wiggler with solid rhythm section and hot farfisa.
9. 2:42 *midtempo syncopated soul number, untutored but soulful female vocals.
10. 2:26 ***uptempo funky chicken with bongos and big horns, soulful groans.
11. 2:21 *****odd spoken intro in Creole French, then uptempo 60’s dance with squeaky chorus. Destined to become the Official Dance of KZSU!
12. 3:01 *wah-wah funk, soulful (but often high-pitched) female vocals, song about something we can probably all relate to…
13. 3:13 ***Mardi Gras parade noises, then downtempo super-funky strut.
14. 2:02 ****slow and VERY funky. No question, Eddie Bo is HOT.
15. 2:12 *midtempo (original?) version of the 60’s hit, very low-fi but fun.
16. 2:54 **uptempo James Brown-ish funk, with great nonsense chorus.
17. 2:31 **midtempo Stax sound, female vocals.
18. 2:53 *uptempo instrumental (unfortunately kinda muddled sounding).
19. 2:09 **uptempo “tequila” rhythm with guitar solo – rockin instrumental.
20. 2:54 **midtempo funky strut with wicked bass runs.
21. 2:33 ***very downtempo, response song to the original 70’s funk hit.
22. 3:03 **downtempo 70’s funk, dance number.
23. 2:24 *uptempo lounge-y dance instrumental. Long fade.
24. 2:42 **uptempo soul shake version of the classic.
25. 3:22 **midtempo 70’s soul with bongos, jazz horns, and a dash of Blaxploitation.