|Diplomats Of Solid Sound , The / Featuring The Diplomettes|
|Album:||Featuring The Diplomettes||Collection:||General|
|Artist:||Diplomats Of Solid Sound , The||Added:||Jul 2008|
|Add Date:||2008-07-27||Pull Date:||2008-09-28|
|Week Ending:||Sep 28||Sep 21||Sep 14||Sep 7||Aug 31||Aug 24||Aug 17||Aug 10|
|1.||Aug 07, 2017:||Happy Hour |
|4.||Jul 27, 2015:||Mix Tape: Alexis de Tocqueville Edition |
Hurt Me So (Lack Of Afro Remix)
|2.||Apr 10, 2017:||Happy Hour |
|5.||Sep 29, 2014:||Happy Hour |
|3.||Jan 04, 2016:||Happy Hour |
|6.||Mar 10, 2014:||Happy Hour |
Come In My Kitchen
The Diplomats of Solid Sound Featuring the Diplomettes|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 7/24/08
Seriously tasty retro-funk from Iowa City. (!!) They seem to have simply absorbed the Stax catalog into their vital essences, and got funk they ain’t never even used yet! Particularly fine horn section, and the debut of a very soulful vocal trio (admittedly that’s what drew me to the record – “Diplomettes”? what’s not to love?)
No FCCs. All extremely good – just plunge right in!
1. ***midtempo funky instrumental strut – you can TASTE the funk, baby!
2. **funky march with deep-fried female vocals. “Sassy” works for this one, I think.
3. *very slow keyboard, then female harmonies, finally downtempo but funky and danceable groove, slinky sax.
4. **midtempo soul rave-up, great horns, few lyrics.
5. ***somewhat uptempo snaky lounge groove, fine soul vocals.
6. ***downtempo soul strut, great harmonies.
7. ***dowtenmpo, laid back superfly funk, smoky vocals. Wow!
8. **midtempo swingy groove, prominent organ (ooh, that sounds dirty!)
9. **midtempo strut, worthy cover of the Carla Thomas classic.
10. ***upbeat funky march, cool vocals, classic material.
11. ***uptempo skank version of track 3, bits of Jamaican talking, lots of funky energy.
|1.||Plenty Nasty||6.||Soul Connenction|
|2.||Come In My Kitchen||7.||Smokey Places|
|3.||Hurt Me So||8.||Lights Out|
|5.||Trouble Me||10.||In You're Wrong (I Don't Want To Be Right)|
|11.||Hurt Me So (Lack Of Afro Remix)|