|Dubxanne / Police In Dub|
|Album:||Police In Dub||Collection:||Reggae|
|Add Date:||2008-08-03||Pull Date:||2008-10-05||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||5 Oct||28 Sep||14 Sep||7 Sep||31 Aug||24 Aug||17 Aug||10 Aug|
|1.||Mon, 07 Aug 17:||Farmer Flap-Jack|
|4.||Thu, 25 Aug 11:||Sunshine|
|2.||Thu, 04 Oct 12:||ETN|
|5.||Thu, 19 Aug 10:||Sunshine|
Sunshine . . . in the Afternoon
|3.||Mon, 24 Oct 11:||Farmer Flap-Jack|
Happy Hour (Coverin' for PACC)
|6.||Fri, 16 Jul 10:||Ranger Rick|
Quasi Music Therapy
DubXanne – Police in Dub|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 7/31/08
Deep dub of Police hits, with several guest vocalists. Band (and vocalist on track 2) are based in Hamburg. Everything is VERY dubby, only a couple of tracks have vocals based strongly on the originals. Rather glitchy and trance-y. I found the female chorus a bit annoying after a while, but apart from that, it’s strong modern dub without TOO overt Police.
No FCCs detected. I like 2-4 best, but maybe I got burnt out after that…
1. 5:55 **starts with traffic sounds and conversation in Jamaican. Very slow dub skank with lots of echo, relaxed and groovy. Snippets of female chorus.
2. 5:43 ***bit of spoken intro, slow and dubby version of the megahit, sung at least an octave lower than the original, glitchy.
3. 5:02 ***midtempo, very dubby instrumental – subdued, nice horns and electronics.
4. 5:03 ***glitchy dub with toasting from Ranking Roger of the Beat.
5. 5:06 *sort of smooth-jazzy intro, midtempo instrumental bubble with snippets of female chorus.
6. 5:48 *single electronic blurp, then mostly silence for next several seconds. Electronic riddim comes together slowly, fades in and out, pretty vocals from Earl 16 and female chorus.
7. 5:31 *random noises, chord and boops, no beat for 45 seconds. Takes a long time to come together into rather melodramatic and definitely glitchy 4/4 dub skank.
8. 5:26 **midtempo skank with toasting (very simple rhythm – old-school British style), rather odd female chorus. TERRIBLY deep.
9. 4:28 *downtempo instrumental skank with horns. Pleasant, but the female chorus detracts from the music, IMO.
10. 5:02 **random sounds and a bit of toasting, VERY slow skank, snippets of Big Youth and female chorus. Music cuts out often.
11. 6:04 **slow, plodding beat, but interesting bits of other sounds.
12. 6:26 *Bits of gratuitous whispered female speaking, then slow, slinky mostly instrumental groove. I’d like this better without her, alas.
13. 5:15 *organ chords, acoustic guitar, terribly mellow and pretty. Very good for falling asleep to (trust me…)