|Album:||Sketches Of M.D. - Live At The Iridium||Collection:||Jazz|
|Artist:||Garrett, Kenny||Added:||Sep 2008|
|Add Date:||2008-10-05||Pull Date:||2008-12-07||Charts:||Jazz|
|Week Ending:||Nov 9||Nov 2||Oct 19||Oct 12|
|1.||Apr 27, 2012:||The Songsmith Show
Sketches Of M.D.
|4.||Oct 30, 2008:||Sunshine ... in the Afternoon
|2.||Nov 07, 2008:||No Cover, No Minimum
|5.||Oct 17, 2008:||No Cover, No Minimum
|3.||Nov 02, 2008:||soul eclipse
Intro To Africa
|6.||Oct 12, 2008:||soul eclipse
Mack Avenue, 2008
MODERN JAZZ – Great funky set from alto saxophonist Garrett and guest star Pharoah Sanders on tenor, with deep post-bop grooves, strong blowing poised between avant-jazz and r&b, and a serious yet positive vibe that gets lighter as the disc progresses. Garrett surprises with some spaced-out keyboard work as well. A good time.
Fo’s Picks: 1, 2, 4
1. 14:34 – heavy midtempo groove: serious alto sax drifts out, Pharoah goes from meditative calm to steely dignity; McCoy Tyner-style piano
2. 09:21 – lumbering, spiritual-sounding anthem, cool soulful saxes… nice!
3. 10:02 – salute to late-period Miles Davis: light & steady groove, sax runs thru effects box, spacey synth breaks, a cool atmospheric jam
4. 10:58 – funky li’l bounce, cute/catchy r&b theme; popping sax, blessed-out keys; gets icy halfway in, comes back, sax cuts loose near the end
5. 11:41 – crowd-pleasing lite-funk jam, retro-kitschy and way too long but also super-catchy… if you play this, you’ll hum it all day.
[ Fo ] 5-Oct-08
|1.||The Ring||3.||Sketches Of M.D.|
|2.||Intro To Africa||4.||Wayne's Thang|