|Various Artists / Eccentric Soul: The Young Disciples|
|Album:||Eccentric Soul: The Young Disciples||Collection:||General|
|Label:||The Numero Group|
|Add Date:||2008-11-02||Pull Date:||2009-01-04|
|Week Ending:||4 Jan||28 Dec||21 Dec||14 Dec||7 Dec||30 Nov||23 Nov||16 Nov|
|1.||Oct 01, 2013:||Sunshine . . . in the Afternoon |
|4.||Sep 04, 2012:||Sunshine . . . in the Afternoon |
|2.||Sep 03, 2013:||Good Day Sunshine! |
I'm Your Man
|5.||Jun 28, 2012:||Sunshine . . . in the Afternoon |
Anyone Or Anything, I'm Your Man, People, Crumbs From The Table
|3.||Jun 04, 2013:||Sunshine . . . in the Afternoon |
Crumbs From The Table
|6.||Apr 14, 2010:||Sunshine ... in the Afternoon |
Eccentric Soul: The Young Disciples|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 10/25/08
Eccentric Soul! Nuff freakin’ said, aaight? All the info we get is a heartwarming tale of a guy who got kids off the street and out of downward spirals with a record label, but I wanna know stuff like who is that AMAZING bassist? What happened to these fantastic young singers? Wow! Check out 2, 11, 19, 20… Check em all!
1. 3:27 *dramatic cinematric intro, downtempo orchestral shuffle with prominent bass, very positive lyrics.
2. 4:15 ****bit of hand percussion, then very uptempo funky hustle, spoken intro. The band is cooking! Oppression lyrics, fine vocals, hot drums – includes a jam.
3. 2:25 **bit of electronic squeep, then crazy uptempo psychedelic funk soul – they musta been on the Mothership…
4. 2:18 ***jazzy uptempo soul with a smidge of blues, terrific female vocals. Incredible energy.
5. 2:13 **midtempo soul – sounds like Motown but with extra layers. Amazing tenor vocals, keyboards and that wild bass. Whew!
6. 3:30 **super dramatic, very slow orchestral sashay (slow dance to this), another terrific vocalist. She gave me goosebumps!
7. 2:58 *low-key, slow orchestral groove, slightly funky guitar, vocal harmonies, vocal duo, very, very early 70’s.
8. 2:55 **big horn intro, then midtempo cha cha groove – sounds like the after school exercise it is, but sweet and fun.
9. 2:30 **midtempo, big sound with chimes, female backing vocals, fine male lead.
10. 2:00 ***uptempo ultra groovy Sound of Young America, with great female vocal ensemble.
11. 3:15 ****midtempo funky strut, great male vocals, big sound, fun lyrics.
12. 2:59 ***downtempo and groovy and danceable, same killer female vocalist as track 6.
13. 2:57 **slow superfunk, think Ball of Confusion-era Temps, lyrics presage Grandmaster Flash.
14. 2:31 **very slow, incredible female vocals (it isn’t a great song, IMO, but the girls sing like freaking angels.)
15. 2:58 *rather strange – very slow, twittering music, vocals like Smokey Robinson. Out of nowhere, great bit of sax.
16. 2:24 **very slow, with churchical organ, female vocals.
17. 2:38 ***downtempo, downbeat superfunk, female vocals, a bit psychedelic feeling.
18. 3:17 **very slow orchestral soul, fantastic female vocals.
19. 2:01 ****holy shit, listen to that bass! Uptempo funk. Yow!
20. 3:01 ****uptempo funky jam, monster horn section, ten tons of youthful exuberance. Total rave-up!
21. 3:22 ***uptempo cool soul funk instrumental, psychedelic.