|Perry, Lee "Scratch" / Scratch Came Scratch Saw Scratch Conquered|
|Album:||Scratch Came Scratch Saw Scratch Conquered||Collection:||Reggae|
|Artist:||Perry, Lee "Scratch"||Added:||11/2008|
|Label:||State Of Emergency Limited|
|Add Date:||2008-11-23||Pull Date:||2009-01-25||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||25 Jan||18 Jan||11 Jan||4 Jan||28 Dec||21 Dec||14 Dec||7 Dec|
|1.||Feb 17, 2020:||Soul, Samples & Substitutions |
The Game Black, Headz Gonna Roll Feat. George Clinton
|4.||Sep 01, 2013:||New World Disorder |
The Game Black
|2.||Feb 16, 2015:||Happy Hour |
Headz Gonna Roll Feat. George Clinton
|5.||Jul 14, 2013:||New World Disorder |
The Game Black
|3.||Nov 02, 2013:||Music Casserole |
Yee Ha Ha Ha
|6.||Jun 23, 2012:||New World Disorder |
Yee Ha Ha Ha
Lee Scratch Perry – Scratch Came, etc.|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 11/21/08
Reggae, but with so much funk and jazzy overtones it hardly resembles itself anymore. Completely nutted chanting from Scratch, as usual (although it does start to make sense once it gets up inside your brainhole), not very dubby or “experimental” musically, but ABSOLUTELY CREAMY DELICIOUS. Music you just want to rub into your skin all over. Note – most tracks have long intros before music starts, just so’s you know...
Repeated FCCs on tracks 4, 12, 13. Everything is awesome.
1. 4:41 ****starts with several seconds of footsteps, spoken “hallo” – then super funky slightly uptempo groove, nutty lyrics, great fun.
2. 5:03 ***starts with sampled kiddie laughter, then midtempo, downbeat funky/jazzy skank. All about voodoo economics. Keef is just on guitar.
3. 4:19 ****starts with gong, then midtempo shaker and keyboard – when the bass comes in it’s just insanely bouncy and juicy and groovy.
4. 4:14 FCC: “fuck” several times near end. “poompoom” is also very naughty in Jamaican. ***starts with rain sounds and talking, then downtempo cool jazzy wiggle. Bam government bam – shazam!
5. 5:18 **starts with heartbeat sounds and talk, then slow, downbeat funky skank with lots of percussion (incl. knife being sharpened).
6. 4:32 ****starts with phone ringing, then midtempo funky bounce, complete nonsense lyrics. Apparently it’s his way of picking up on women. Great ending…
7. 4:36 ****starts with solo clarinet and chanting, then downtempo sweet sway, revelation time lyrics. Damn, this is good! Ends with bagpipes playing Amazing Grace (!)
8. 4:41 ****starts with chanting, then downtempo hip hop with HUGE FUNK, bits of George Clinton… (what does Excaliber have to do with anything? Who cares?)
9. 4:41 ****starts with electronics and mad chanting, then uptempo funky bounce, more diatribe about money. Ends with more electronics and repeated “I am the cocky fella”…
10. 5:09 ****short intro, then slow smooth funk, religious chant. Scratch has some VERY interesting revelations to share.
11. 5:33 ***starts with special thanks to Keef, then rather uptempo, slightly bluesy groove. Quite pretty, really – and Scratch just takes the phrase “rolling stone” and runs with it. Very quiet for last half minute.
12. 4:10 Starts right off with clear FCCs (repeated “sinful fuckers”) ***downbeat funky shuffle.
13. 5:13 FCC: “fuck” several times. **bell and chant intro, then slow mellow jazzy skank, WAY more than seven wishes.