|Auffenberg, Ryan / Marigolds|
|Add Date:||2009-04-19||Pull Date:||2009-06-21|
|Week Ending:||21 Jun||7 Jun||24 May||10 May|
|1.||Jun 18, 2009:||The Songsmith Show |
|4.||Jun 06, 2009:||Music Casserole |
|2.||Jun 16, 2009:||Interim Special |
|5.||Jun 03, 2009:||smartie pop |
|3.||Jun 15, 2009:||julian's airtest |
|6.||May 20, 2009:||Z901 presents... |
|Walter E. Gough|
The sheen of the sharp production and fine musicianship can hide the darker edges on this singer-songwriters’ first full length. Thematically, the songs are about isolation, despair and broken dreams. Musically, twangy guitars, banjo and mandolin parts interweave with “function generators,” synths and B-3 organs. There are even a couple of cello tracks. Auffenberg is a central Missouri transplant living in the bay area and the disc is released on SF’s Evangeline Records. |
For fans of: Wilco, Iron & Wine, Ryan Adams
1. (4:23) Slow, sorrowful piano ballad with a touch of twang.
* 2. (4:23) Mid-tempo melodic track shows off his songwriting chops. Could’ve been a hit for the Eagles is they didn’t suck.
** 3. (3:25) Electronic touches, percussion and whispery vocals reminiscent of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. Not your average road song.
4. (3:24) Twangy guitar and hooky chorus.
*5. (3:44) Rhythm-heavy intro and beat back up a strong vocal performance.
6. (3:15) Up-tempo number a little heavy on production.
7. (4:35) Piano-driven song with cello and big chorus.
8. (4:03) Acoustic guitar with a power-pop feel.
* 9. (4:58) Rich and beautiful melody. Simple keys plus voices.
10. (3:42) Blue-grass druggy SF ditty.
|2.||Undercover||7.||Waking Up Alone|
|3.||Interstate||8.||Half Forgotten Love|
|4.||Deep Water||9.||Dizzy Spells|
|5.||Pictures (Of Someone Else)||10.||Alright, Okay|