Temple Lovefest Sampler|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 1/16/09
Club electronica/dance, often with exotic (Eastern, Indian, Dub) elements, straight from the Bay.
Single FCC on 2, tons of em on 8. I like 1, 5, 10 best.
1. 4:13 ****tablas and dhol drums, gradually adding electronics, sitar. Danceable, groovy.
2. 4:46 FCC: “talking shit” *downbeat swingy electronic whirs and boops and gronches, pop vocals.
3. 6:30 ***midtempo jungle beat – a bit electronic disco, but with subtleties and ear-catching bits.
4. 6:41 **syncopated electronic club beat, blatty sounds, female moans, hip hoppy vocals. Might be a bit dicey FCC-wise. Fades to blats.
5. 6:19 ****midtempo syncopation with some hand percussion and exotica. Middle-eastern musical influences, Arabic vocals. (track is also on his solo album we have.)
6. 6:30 **uptempo jungle beat, blats, foghorns, vocal samples. Deeply cosmic, a bit jazzy.
7. 6:57 **complex rhythm, a little cha-cha, a little Eastern. Spoken vocals, terribly profound. (I think this guy thinks he discovered the concept of polyrhythmia…)
8. 5:38 Multiple FCCs **basic midtempo club beat with lots of stuff layered on. Female vocals with quite the potty mouth, although it’s pretty amusing. Too many FCCs for Safe Harbor, IMO.
9. 7:52 ***uptempo club beat, but with laid back overtones. Some bongos, a pina colada… Pretty, slightly distorted female vocals.
10. 6:46 ****midtempo club beat, very groovy hand drums. All about the beat, baby!
11. 5:08 **boopy electronics and midtempo club beat, female vocal samples – definitely naughty thoughts. Some very funky bass sounds.
12. 5:17 ***uptempo yet spacey, slides right off the far side of dub.
13. 4:44 ***uptempo complex beat, spacey electronics.