|Niculescu, Florin / Plays Stephane Grappelli|
|Album:||Plays Stephane Grappelli||Collection:||Jazz|
|Add Date:||2009-02-01||Pull Date:||2009-04-05||Charts:||Jazz|
|Week Ending:||1 Mar||22 Feb||15 Feb||8 Feb|
|1.||Feb 28, 2009:||Music Casserole |
|4.||Feb 13, 2009:||No Cover, No Minimum |
|2.||Feb 25, 2009:||The Heart of KZSU |
|5.||Feb 10, 2009:||At the Cafe Bohemian |
|3.||Feb 20, 2009:||No Cover, No Minimum |
|6.||Feb 03, 2009:||At the Cafe Bohemian |
Contemporary Gypsy jazz from this Romanian-born, French-based violinist. Joined by guitar, piano, the band is top-notch (especially Peter Beets on piano). It’s crisp, bright, clean, no-frills. Technically it’s wonderful, but I would have liked a bit more passion, fun, spontaneity. It’s all a bit too formal and controlled for me.|
*1. Upbeat, swinging jam, solid solos, especially the piano.
2. Mid/upbeat again, a great showcase for piano.
3. Slow, lyrical, romantic. Picks up a bit but keeps the romance.
4. Slow, dreamy intro. Downtempo but hip and sophisticated.
*5. Mid/upbeat with a sweet arrangement and a catchy feeling.
6. Sweetly lyrical midtempo w/a small nightclub feel.
*7. Upbeat romp w/a nice energy and tight work from all.
8. Relaxed, almost sleepy at first, picks up a bit. Some sweet violin.
*9. Toe tapping, good use of electric guitar, bright and bouncy.
10. Slow and nostalgic with a reflective sadness. Almost classical.
11. Slow guitar intro, then picks up. Interesting take on a classic.
12. Downtempo at first, then a quirky modern mid/upbeat swing.
|3.||La Chanson Des Rues||9.||Eveline|
|4.||Automne||10.||Souvenir De Villingen|
|5.||Light||11.||Old Man River|
|6.||Tournesol||12.||Blues For Stéphane|