|Drunken Monkey / Mr. D's Ballroom|
|Album:||Mr. D's Ballroom||Collection:||General|
|Label:||Splintered Tree Records|
|Add Date:||2009-03-15||Pull Date:||2009-05-17||Charts:||RPM/Electronica|
|Week Ending:||17 May||10 May||19 Apr||12 Apr||29 Mar||22 Mar|
|1.||Tue, 12 May 09:||Alan|
|4.||Sat, 18 Apr 09:||Eme O|
|2.||Sat, 09 May 09:||Eme O|
|5.||Sun, 12 Apr 09:||SASQUATCH|
The Twlight Zone
|3.||Sun, 03 May 09:||SASQUATCH|
The Twilight Zone
|6.||Tue, 07 Apr 09:||Dannaman|
Drunken Monkey: Mr. D's Ballroom|
Splintered Tree Records
This is Drunken Monkey's latest release, and it is chock full of yummy electro and juicy breaks, with his signature exotic & spaced-out flavors. CD #1 is particularly amazing, in that so many different styles of beats & tempos are represented. There's something for everyone here!
CD #1: All great, but especially try: 1,3,6,9,10
1. Dub-breaky thumpy beats w/ some exotic sounds & male vox
2. Loopy house, synthy swirls, a few analog blurps
3. Retro dirty-disco/ghetto-soul track, funky, great electric piano!
4. Chilled-out mellow groove w/ cool glitchy effects
5. Relaxed Electro - catchy little groove w/ robo vox & swirls
6. Fantastic stoned-out electro-breaks w/ all sorts of trippy effects
7. Sweet little Drum & Bass track - light & funky
8. Edgier D&B track, some grinding, lots of swooshing effects
9. Funky uptempo & groovy jazzy house w/ some great catchy vocals
10. Slammin' electro-funk breaks - snappy drums & nasty bass
NOTE: CD #2 descriptions are on back.
CD #2: Mostly various flavors of break-beat music - try: 3,4,7,9.
1. Chill-out funky breaks track w/ swirls & flutes
2. More spaced-out dubby breaks w/ male vox loops
3. Robo-electro beats & breaks w/ a distinctly old-school sound
4. Slammin' breakbeat track, snappy drums & male vox MC action
5. Synthy electro-pop, swirly and bubbly melodies
6. A grittier track w/ grinding bass & MC male vox
7. Starts w/ cute video-game sounds, goes into dubby D&B
8. Progressive-style breaks, big synth buildups & kids samples
9. Trippy & exotic-sounding pounding breaks track
10. Sparse & dubby breaks track, loose & chill w/ snappy snare drums
FYI: Drunken Monkey was my guest on KZSU back in December '08 and gave us his discography on CD. He is a talented local DJ/producer whose tastes range from breaks, electro, house, trip-hop, drum & bass, world music, rock, and more. It's rare that I get a guest with the diversity & range that he has. So please explore his material and enjoy!