|Various Artists / Dancehall Roughneck|
|Artist:||Various Artists||Added:||Feb 2009|
|Add Date:||2009-03-01||Pull Date:||2009-05-03||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||May 3||Apr 26||Apr 19||Apr 12||Apr 5||Mar 29||Mar 22||Mar 15|
|1.||Nov 19, 2011:||Music Casserole |
|4.||May 02, 2009:||New World Disorder |
Without You/No False God Combination
|2.||Jan 01, 2010:||Music Casserole |
Gimme Back Me Money
|5.||Apr 25, 2009:||New World Disorder |
|3.||May 09, 2009:||New World Disorder |
|6.||Apr 19, 2009:||The Twilight Zone |
Don't Know Why
Reviewed by Sadie O., 2/27/09
Dancehall from the early 90’s, re-released. Often very minimalist but fun riddims by Sly and Robbie – mostly almost entirely percussion, and quite an odd variety of vocal styles. Some of the tracks were huge, at last in Jamaica – Pepper Pot and Gimme Back Me Money, notably. Frankie Paul was clearly heading to “modern R&B”, but the rest range from highly quirky to really cool.
No overt FCCs, but track one is a bit nudge nudge wink wink.
1. 3:50 **midtempo dancehall riddim, chat about girls (rather naughty, if you can tease out the patois.)
2. 3:52 *finger snapping riddim, “R&B” vocals, talking about crack and sounding like it too. Odd!
3. 3:48 ***squeals and chatting, uptempo minimalist riddim with gloopy percussion.
4. 3:37 ****downtempo swingy skank with xylophone – very cool sound, very pleasant dancehall vocals.
5. 3:39 ***midtempo electronic syncopation, amusing mumbled vocals.
6. 3:42 **midtempo relaxed skank, pretty singing.
7. 3:45 ***upbeat electronic dancehall riddim, manic female vocals, fun sound.
8. 3:44 **midtempo minimalist percussive riddim with boopy sounds.
9. 3:49 ***starts with a farty noise, swingy downtempo riddim with both singing and dancehall chat.
10. 3:58 ***downtempo minimalist electronic bounce, rather pointless and odd-sounding vocals. I don’t know what this guy is trying to do with his face, but it makes me laugh…
11. 3:43 **uptempo syncopated bounce, inscrutable dancehall chat. It’s a love song, but to what?
12. 3:39 *midtempo syncopated riddim, dancehall chat.