|Diane, Alela / To Be Still|
|Album:||To Be Still||Collection:||General|
|Add Date:||2009-06-07||Pull Date:||2009-08-09|
|Week Ending:||9 Aug||2 Aug||26 Jul||19 Jul||12 Jul||5 Jul||28 Jun||21 Jun|
|1.||Tue, 30 Apr 13:||DJ Moon Buddy|
|4.||Thu, 23 Jul 09:||ric thomas|
in the groove
|2.||Thu, 06 Aug 09:||Farmer Flap-Jack|
|5.||Sun, 12 Jul 09:||Joker|
|3.||Wed, 29 Jul 09:||Adam|
|6.||Fri, 10 Jul 09:||Francis D|
Beautiful, folky, female singer-songwriter material from Nevada City/ Portland. In line with some of the folk-revival singers (Vashanti Bunyan?) or current folk/ freak folk singers (Joanna Newsome or Gillian Welch) with strong, stylized, octave-jumping, vocals. A great voice. Individual songs are good but the album is a bit too much of the same. |
My picks: 1, 2, 7 FCC: none detected
1. med-slow, guitar, plenty of pedal steel and strong, octave-jumping vocals.
2. mid tempo. finger-picked guitar and prominent fiddle. Lots of harmony vocals. drums + cello later. pretty song.
3. mid tempo. drenched in pedal steel. light drums + fingerpicked guitar as well. a bit too wandering.
4. mid tempo, with a lilt to it. most vocals, w/ violin flourishes.
5. mid tempo, again with a lilt to it.
6. mid tempo. constant, pensive guitar + violin.
7. slow. plodding drums under vocals with guitar only entering later. mandolin added later. compelling song.
8. mid tempo. finger-picked guitar. dark song with mandolin and piano flourishes.
9. med-fast but subdued. A light and airy song. primarily guitar but also banjo + more.
10. mid tempo. mostly finger-picked guitar and vocals. simple and quite nice.
|1.||Dry Grass & Shadows||6.||The Alder Trees|
|2.||White As Diamonds||7.||My Brambles|
|3.||Age Old Blue||8.||The Ocean|
|4.||To Be Still||9.||Every Path|
|5.||Take Us Back||10.||Tatted Lace|