|Add Date:||2009-04-05|| ||Pull Date:||2009-06-07|| ||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||7 Jun||31 May||24 May||17 May||10 May||3 May||26 Apr||19 Apr|
Indubious – Fresh Leaves|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 4/3/09
Fun roots Reggae from Oregon. I have to confess I didn’t listen to this for a while because I saw the psychedelic artwork and pictures of three white guys and didn’t think it was going to be promising. Then I listened to a whole lot of real crap straight from Jamaica, and finally decided in desperation to give this a try, and lo, it failed to suck. Solid instrumentation, including some awesome bass breaks, some really fine dancehall vocals – some of the singing and lyrics are a bit hippie stoned sweetness for my taste, but overall it’s good listening.
FCC – I think there’s one at the beginning of the guest hip hop rap in track 10, but I’m honestly not sure – listen for yourself… I like 1, 10, 12, and even the little short track 8 best.
1. 5:43 ****Claypool-esque bass noodling intro, then midtempo roots skank w/ syndrum, swingy, quite listenable.
2. 4:59 **downtempo riddim with sci-fi movie electronics, rather overly sweet singing but solid dancehall vocals, very relaxed.
3. 4:11 ***electronic squawps, then keyboard-based midtempo skank. Rather jazzy feel in bits, bit of ska towards end, complex dancehall vocals.
4. 0:07 bit of piano and talk
5. 5:06 *slow simple intro, then midtempo bubble, lyrics a bit precious in place, but a pleasant sound overall. Live audience sounds at end, incl. “goddamn”
6. 5:25 ***sirens, then uptempo ska groove w/ lots of bass work, decent dancehall vocals.
7. 4:53 ***fast bass noodling, then uptempo keyboard-based skank, dancehall vocals. I particularly like the instrumentation on this one. Dubby bit in second half.
8. 0:32 ****fantastic bass and keyboard sound – sucks hard that they didn’t make this into a full-length song!
9. 4:45 ***uptempo skank with minor key modulation. Hyperspeed dancehall vocals, including a Very Meaningful bit that sounds a bit acid-induced.
10. 5:15 FCC? Maybe a “fuck” ****vocal harmony intro, then a fine Obligatory Love Song to Pot – downtempo with boopy sounds. Shout outs to various Cal coast cities.
11. 7:14 **downtempo roots skank, fine vocals. Nothing in particular outstanding, but the total package is a good sound. Except maybe for the tiny fart at the very, very end.
12. 3:35 ****rootsy little acoustic tune with melodica, complex vocals, solid bass.
13. 5:43 **mellow keyboard intro, then midtempo bubble. The lyrics have me a bit dizzy.
14. 7:17 **midtempo skank with hyperactive keyboards and bass, very deep stoner philosophizing. Long jam, featuring great noodly bass.