|Wilder, Webb / More Like Me|
|Album:||More Like Me||Collection:||General|
|Label:||Blind Pig Records|
|Add Date:||2009-05-31||Pull Date:||2009-08-02|
|Week Ending:||2 Aug||26 Jul||19 Jul||28 Jun||14 Jun||7 Jun|
|1.||Jul 26, 2009:||Sunny Side Up |
Too Cool For Love
|4.||Jul 12, 2009:||Jokers Wild |
Ju Ju Man
|2.||Jul 25, 2009:||New World Disorder |
She Said Yeah
|5.||Jun 21, 2009:||Sunny Side Up |
She's Not Romantic
|3.||Jul 18, 2009:||New World Disorder |
|6.||Jun 07, 2009:||Sunny Side Up |
Ju Ju Man
Webb Wilder – More Like Me|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 5/21/09
Alt-Americana from the guy who just might be responsible for the genre. All hand-played instruments, including some pretty dern fine guitar noodling. Webb’s vocals run the gamut from perfectly smooth (yet emotional) pop to demented swamp boogie, and even the pop tunes have lyrics that are a bit west of center. Even the styles I just plain don’t care for are bearable, and the good stuff is NUTS.
No FCCs. Webb don’t do FCCs. I love track 5.
1. 3:14 ***guitar slide, then uptempo rock ‘n’ roll with a distinct rockabilly twang and upbeat attitude. Super BBQ-sauce tasty guitar break.
2. 4:37 *downtempo slow dance, smooth pop sound but rather ascerbic lyrics.
3. 5:26 *****serious swampy twang – that’s what we want from Webb! And it’s a cover of Roky Erickson, to boot. Fuzzy, ugly guitar break, psycho vocals. This is your single right here, kids.
4. 3:29 slow singer songer stuff, swingy acoustic guitar pop. There’s even breathy female vocals.
5. 3:08 ****fine vocal intro, then hard-driving midtempo roadhouse rock. The drug of choice here is white lightning. Alarming slide guitar solo, as god intended.
6. 2:39 **downtempo British-invasion pop song, sitar-esque guitar solo.
7. 4:54 extremely slow and melancholy song of lost love, slow dance. If you want a good cry, it’s right here for ya.
8. 2:17 ***fast rocker – sort of like a Brit invasion take on Rockabilly, which is funny coming from a guy who does straight up Rockabilly just fine. Still a great sound, mind you. Long fade.
9. 2:57 *midtempo pop with a smidge of twang. You could swear George Harrison came back from the grave for the guitar break.
10. 2:58 **midtempo minimalist roadhouse rock.
11. 4:02 ***minimalist two-step, built for the honky tonk hardwood floor. Fender Rhodes solo.
12. 3:31 *downtempo introspective pop.
|1.||Ju Ju Man||7.||Sudden Stop|
|2.||Too Cool For Love||8.||She Said Yeah|
|3.||Don't Slander Me||9.||Come Around|
|4.||She's Not Romantic||10.||Still Water Runs Deep|
|5.||Honky Tonkin'||11.||More Like Me|
|6.||Pretty Is As Pretty Does||12.||Changing Colors|