The Sea and Cake “Car Alarm”
Efficient, brisk pop/rock group with a strong jazz presence and soft male vox. Album is focused on the nuts and bolts of guitar, bass, drums and keyboard. The music is exact but so damn pleasant. The Sea and Cake won’t add a shocking element to your set, but you will enjoy musing along to them in the studio office chair.
NO FCCS Start With: 6, 2, 3 basil
1) * mid tempo song; guitar builds in the chorus w/ controlled but enthusiastic drums
2) **complex, tightly layered elements (including horns!) run through your ears smoothly
3) **some reaching, Cure-esque vox with soothing, patient instrumentation
4) minute-long electronic interlude – I dig it! Add in for background space
5) *bit more “indie” than others; up tempo guitars have a grungier side than other tracks
6) ***smooth vox are mixed w/ erratic, somewhat scratchy beeps & bleeps; unique!
7) ooh I hear some acoustic guitar & harmonies in there! Smooth as butter
8) upbeat but nothing really new here – same guitar strumming & a spacey, brisk vibe
9) * mid tempo; surf guitar works alongside pitter patter percussion. Good vibrations!
10) a bit folksier than others, bubblin bass work; fake ending ¾ through
11) soft guitar meanderings start track. The rest is melodic but unexceptional
12) great muted steel drum! Too bad it’s soo short (1:39)