|Horrors, The / Primary Colours|
|Artist:||Horrors, The||Added:||May 2009|
|Add Date:||2009-09-06||Pull Date:||2009-11-08|
|Week Ending:||Nov 1||Oct 25||Oct 18||Sep 27||Sep 20||Sep 13|
|1.||Aug 02, 2017:||The Fuzz Deli |
Who Can Say
|4.||Apr 20, 2016:||a strange pursuit |
Sea Within A Sea
|2.||Nov 16, 2016:||deep storage |
I Only Think Of You
|5.||Jul 05, 2014:||Fishbowl |
Do You Remember
|3.||May 12, 2016:||radio seven (autobiographical) |
|6.||May 29, 2014:||The Sunset Life |
Sea Within A Sea
Brit psych rock, shoegaze. Rockier than strict shoegaze, but fuzzier than garage. Has a post-punk edge. Vocals (among other things) remind me of the Psychedelic Furs and Ian Curtis. Good if you like: The Cure, Sonic Youth, The Sonics, Joy Division, JAMC, KOD, Slowdive -- even post-punkier Stooges stuff. Should be a solid fixture on any self-respecting shoegaze show.|
The Horrors are a relatively new (circa ’05) band out of Southend. Once upon a time (first record upon a time) they apparently sounded like a Cramps tribute band (see: “Sheena is a Parasite”). I have no idea what happened between then and now, but, wow. This is their second record, co-produced by Craig Silvey (who writes novels), Geoff Barrow (who plays in Portishead), and music video director Chris Cunningham (seriously, have you seen “Rubber Johnny”?). Whatever, guys.
try: 4, 3, 6, 9
1. starts slow & vibey. bass in at 1:15, snare-heavy drums & whirlwind guitars. high circular synth riff repeats throughout.
2. upbeat. very train-a-coming sound all around. twangy, boomerangy, echoey, delayed distortion & bends.
*3. heavy, rocky. tambourine, high fuzzy keys, more prominent vocals.
*4. great fucking song. high & slidy oasis riff and grungy, gritty vocals. big & loud.
5. edgy, punky garage. buzzcocky vocals. jolting parallel-move chorus. didn’t they teach you not to do that in music school?!
*6. warbly intro. thrumming chord-keeping bass line at 0:30. smooth, low vocals and clean drumkit. delayed effects & cool stringy synth bit. false ending, play to end.
7. slower. bass drum & tambourine interplay. organy noise & croony vocals. builds, ends a few seconds early.
8. upbeat. 3/4. tambourine & hi-hat on each beat shifts to rhythm strums on each beat. repetitive, lulling.
*9. fast, bright. happy/uplifting. faraway guitars, snare-heavy kit. cool train twang.
10. a great, long, layered jam. starts off like wilco’s spiders (kidsmoke): quick timekeeper bass & rapped cymbals. moves into an eerie wash, then delayed computer beat, then warm horn sectiony synth. ends slow & pretty.
|1.||Mirror's Image||6.||Scarlet Fields|
|2.||Three Decades||7.||I Only Think Of You|
|3.||Who Can Say||8.||I Can't Control Myself|
|4.||Do You Remember||9.||Primary Colours|
|5.||New Ice Age||10.||Sea Within A Sea|