JAZZ VOCALS – One of the all-time greats of jazz & blues, the 80-year-old Anderson offers up a no-nonsense set of standards here. She’s backed by a band of straightahead swingers and sings with just a touch of soul, getting right to the point but with lots of sliding notes, quirky phrasing and other personal touches. Nice.
* * * * | Fo’s Picks: 1, 4, 7, 8
1. 3:52 – upbeat, swinging bounce; Ernestine has fun with the melody
2. 5:51 – tender ballad: vocal a bit hushed with lots of expression, soulful sax
3. 4:35 – relaxed tempo, elastic vocal over straightforward backing
4. 7:09 – soft ballad: warm, cozy and romantic; quiet sax & bass solos
5. 3:26 – midtempo, a light bounce and a good mood
6. 6:10 – slow and casual, vocals get a bit bluesier on this one
7. 6:41 – happy midtempo swinger; gentle vocal, upbeat sax, jolly piano
8. 7:14 – slow, shimmering ballad, so sweet and heartfelt!