The version of “Stand By Me” was an Internet hit. This CD follows that theme by combining artists from around the world singing the same song. They’re all covers (except for one), and you know them all but you don’t know them like this. “One Love” with sitar & tabla. “Biko” with accordion and bouzouki. It could have been cheesy, but the concept and the execution that makes it special. From unknown street performers to stars like Bono, Vusi Mahlasela, Poncho Sanchez, and Keb’ Mo’, it’s one of those rare “music has no boundaries” concepts that actually works. Recorded over 4 years in 5 continents with over 100 musicians. Read the notes. Every track worth playing. This CD makes me happy.
1. Warm and optimistic, heart-warming classic. So good.
2. Folksy version of the reggae staple w/surprising world twists.
3. Relaxed and sweet w/a reggae beat.
4. Starts w/a Celtic air, cool world strings, relaxed & lovely.
5. Sweet & swinging reggae/jazz/pop feeling w/a fun sound.
6. Vocals, guitar, congas. Mid/upbeat swaying Afro pop.
7. Bluegrassy dobro & vocals, mid/upbeat gospel-tinged head nodder.
8. India meets New Orleans, mid/upbeat. Warm & happy.
9. Sweet choir voices, starts slow gets big & gospel. Lovely.
10. Some of the musicians finally meet, recorded live, soulful & heartfelt.