IRVIN MAYFIELD & N.O.J.O.: Book One
World Village, 2009
BIG BAND – Classy first recording by Mayfield’s 16-member New Orleans Jazz Orchestra, a non-profit touring organization dedicated to preserving the city’s jazz culture. Mayfield’s music is clean, crisp, and surprisingly intimate, often sounding like a much smaller group. All original material, including many pieces from “All the Saints,” a living suite commissioned after Hurricane Katrina that is amended every year with new musical commentary on current events. Very nice work!
* * * * | All good. Fo’s Picks: 2, 4, 5, 6, 8
1. 9:13 – relaxed swinging blues, sweet arrangement, nice sax & trombone
2. 5:48 – nice tenor sax feature! A soulful brass band creep, sax all over it
3. 9:55 – slow vocal ballad, chamber sound vs. thick soul, awesome trumpet
4. 5:59 – ooh, a nice clarinet-led blend of trad-jazz march and tango-swing
5. 10:07 – speedy call & response fun with chattering solos, swinging breaks
6. 6:14 – slow romance: languid southern summer atmosphere, strong trumpet
7. 8:25 – goofy Basie-style vocal blues bounce; cute lyrics about numbers
8. 8:59 – exotic bolero, great sound w/ flute, then a hot salsa-swing blowout!
9. 8:04 – postive message song, crowd noise, high r&b vocals by John Boutté