|Queen Ifrica / Montego Bay|
|Add Date:||2009-08-02||Pull Date:||2009-10-04||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||4 Oct||27 Sep||13 Sep||6 Sep||30 Aug||23 Aug||16 Aug||9 Aug|
|1.||May 27, 2021:||Alphabet Soup |
Lioness On The Rise
|4.||Nov 03, 2009:||Quasi Music Therapy, Farmer Flapjack guest |
Keep It To Yourself
|2.||Jul 22, 2013:||Happy Hour |
|5.||Oct 03, 2009:||music casserole |
|3.||Jul 08, 2010:||Happy Hour |
|6.||Sep 26, 2009:||New World Disorder |
Female roots/dancehall vocalist. Some very good tracks, but also some really dicey ones. Also all over the map in terms of production – track one sounds like it was recorded around the campfire out in the brush, but some other tracks are way too commercial sounding. A couple of songs are disturbing content-wise (track 8/13 is about being abused as a child, track 9 apparently is homophobic…) That said, tracks 2, 3, 7, 10, and especially track 5 are really good. |
1. 5:12 *nyahbinghi drums and chants – very, VERY roots.
2. 3:35 ***pretty midtempo skank, reality check about one of Jamaica’s more popular parishes.
3. 4:06 ***video game electronics, slow skank, no idea what she’s going on about, but it sounds pretty cool…
4. 4:19 **very commercial sounding intro, then very relaxed midtempo skank. Pretty singing about being strong…
5. 3:31 ****chatting and nyahbinghi drums, then strong midtempo march, all about rasta power. Dancehall vocals, cool minimalist riddim.
6. 3:39 sweet and a bit commercially produced slightly uptempo skank, love song.
7. 3:59 ***cool midtempo video game riddim, look before you leap lyrics.
8. 4:10 creepy! midtempo relaxed skank, song all about being abused as child. I suppose it’s good to bring this sort of thing in the open, but it’s pretty disturbing to listen to…
9. 3:47 midtempo skank, telling de bad man to gwaan wit demselfs… Actually, when I listen closely, I think it’s a homophobic song. *sigh*
10. 3:32 ***nyabingh drums and ululations, both singing and dancehall chant.
11. 4:16 midtempo skank, deep alto singing, fantasy love song. I don’t really want to know, frankly.
12. 4:34 *acoustic guitar, very slow, no beat, commercially produced, very VERY sad reality song.
13. 4:18 *track 8, the child abuse song, in Spanish (it’s less disturbing when you don’t much understand it…) The piano’s quite good on this.
|3.||Coconut Shell||9.||Keep It To Yourself|
|4.||Lioness On The Rise||10.||Calling Africa|
|5.||Yad To The East||11.||In My Dreams|
|6.||Far Away||12.||Streets Are Bloody|
|13.||Daddy (Spanish Version)|