|Reatard, Jay / Watch Me Fall|
|Album:||Watch Me Fall||Collection:||General|
|Artist:||Reatard, Jay||Added:||Sep 2009|
|Add Date:||2009-09-27||Pull Date:||2009-11-29|
|Week Ending:||Nov 29||Nov 22||Nov 15||Nov 8||Nov 1||Oct 25||Oct 18||Oct 11|
|1.||Jul 08, 2015:||ZoëRadio |
Man Of Steel
|4.||Jul 16, 2014:||A-philiac |
Man Of Steel
|2.||Feb 17, 2015:||The Fishbowl |
|5.||Nov 21, 2013:||Stringless Balloon |
|3.||Feb 03, 2015:||The Fishbowl |
|6.||Mar 28, 2013:||Daydream Disaster |
Before I Was Caught
Ridiculously catchy punk rock. Although he’s put out countless singles, this is only Jay Reatard (Jimmy Lee Lindsey)’s second full-length album. There are tons of typical punk rock elements strewn in here: powerchords, drum rolls, chorus chanting, etc. Although the lyrics may be a little simplistic, Reatard has a great voice, akin to a pissed-off alternate-universe Jack White who was born in Tennessee. All songs are very short, but very good. They could stand alone as singles, but there isn’t a lot of variation, so avoid playing them back to back, otherwise it may get a little “samey.” |
FCC: 1(shit) , 8(fuck) , 9 (shit)
Picks: 2, 3, 5, 10
1. Fierce drumming, with fiercer vocals and ragged guitars. Everything is desperately dramatic until the end where it winds down The lead single from this album, and definitely the best. Unfortunately, its lyrics contain FCC violations.
**2. Pretty straightforward punk rock song. Excellent guitar work. Perfect interplay between Reatard’s lyrical rhythm and the layered drumming.
**3. Messy guitar beating with slightly droning effects. Relentless drum beating with little stutter-steps to keep things interesting. A very energetic track.
4. Gloomy guitar followed by high-energy powerful acoustic strumming peppered with electronics. Occasional electronic guitar punctuations and a noisy, sonic-youth style guitar solo at the end.
**5. A great pop-punk song. Lots of start-stops separate the songs combination of angry screaming with earnest crooning.
6. A very percussive-centered song with a bit of an Irish flair. Interesting keyboard and electronic elements. Short, noisy guitar solos at the end.
7. A very pop-focused song with hand claps and lyrics that actually go “La-La-La.” Disturbingly similar to early 2000’s Green Day.
8. Soft-spoken powerchord-frenzy with a bit of a southern drawl. (FCC)
9.Messy distortion with a creepy bassline and haunting multi-tracked vocals. (FCC)
**10. Lots of upbeat acoustic guitar strumming mixed with resonating semi-acoustic guitar riffs. A great, energizing ballad.
11. A blitzkrieg of fuzz guitar with an brief, acapella intermission. Great vocal layering, with a smooth layer of legato juxtaposed on top of a track of screaming chanting.
12. A slow-paced introspective song that speeds up towards the end and gets super dramatic. It’s basically your standard “movie credits song.” There are even melodramatic cellos crying in the background and everything.
|1.||It Ain't Gonna Save Me||7.||Wounded|
|2.||Before I Was Caught||8.||Rotten Mind|
|3.||Man Of Steel||9.||Nothing Now|
|4.||Can't Do It Anymore||10.||My Reality|
|5.||Faking It||11.||Hang Them All|
|6.||I'm Watching You||12.||There Is No Sun|