|Polvo / In Prism|
|Add Date:||2009-11-08||Pull Date:||2010-01-10|
|Week Ending:||10 Jan||20 Dec||6 Dec||22 Nov||15 Nov|
|1.||Thu, 11 Oct 12:||Merricat McGee|
|4.||Thu, 13 May 10:||Trent Kay|
|2.||Thu, 02 Dec 10:||Stan Power|
|5.||Sat, 09 Jan 10:||Eduisa|
|3.||Fri, 02 Jul 10:||Trent Kay|
|6.||Fri, 08 Jan 10:||Rhino|
Feed Your Head
Another reunion record on Merge! It’s been 12 years, folks. Oh, you remember Polvo: Not a prog band, not a grunge band. Heavy, but not “loud” or “noisy”. Angular, but not obnoxious. Complex guitar interplay, fuck-all time signatures and forgettable, irrelevant lyrics. You know it as “math rock”. Sounds like Hoover to me. Could score Dungeons & Dragons: The Movie. Singer’s got a voice somewhere between Jakob Dylan and Matt Good.|
According to Wikipedia, Polvo is variously translated as “octopus”, “dust”, and “sex”. That sounds... adventurous.
Note: All but one of these tracks are in the 5-9 minute range.
try: i started starring some, but the whole disk is great. start with track 3.
no FCCs that i noticed -- you don’t really hear the lyrics anyway
1. gets right down to it. a great low-key rocker. heavy, deep grunge guitar. lots of guitar-hero-worthy runs. slays.
2. slower, windy melodic guitar. a moody, low soother. way chill. great guitar interplay throughout. nice electric breakdown at minute five.
*3. crunchy intro. harder rock, fast vocals. takes breaks. jutting, heavy bass pounds. echo-back wailing electric.
4. twangy guitar start. doubled guitar and vocal line. could be a really fuzzed-out nirvana. simple, yet effective.
5. starts with slow electric + thin vocals. goes hard rock in minute two. hand-drumming and swirl-guitar in minute four. ends soft & pretty. a great, great, great jam.
6. slow, sitary, windy. surprisingly forefronted drum kit. pretty and mellow.
7. angular guitar start, discordant melody. has an almost normal rock sound. my least fave -- the abbreviated track time suggests it’s their least fave too.
8. starts fuzzy. clear bass and warbly guitar. doubled guitar and vocal line. (a little too parallel for me.) goes... somewhere else... in minutes four and five, then regroups for a pretty indie end.
|1.||Right The Relation||5.||Lucia|
|2.||D.C. Trails||6.||Dream Residue/Work|
|3.||Beggar's Bowl||7.||The Pedlar|
|4.||City Birds||8.||A Link In The Chain|