|Butumbaba / Majikakonvinazion|
|Label:||(No Label Information)|
|Add Date:||2009-12-06||Pull Date:||2010-02-07||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||Feb 7||Jan 31||Jan 24||Jan 17||Jan 10||Jan 3||Dec 27||Dec 20|
|1.||Dec 21, 2010:||The Musical Mystery Box o'Fun (Best of 2010-Part 1) |
|4.||Jan 27, 2010:||Sunshine ... in the Afternoon (Full Moon!) |
|2.||Feb 06, 2010:||New World Disorder |
|5.||Jan 23, 2010:||New World Disorder |
Jumping To The Stars, Barrios Violentos
|3.||Jan 29, 2010:||Everyday Commotion |
|6.||Jan 10, 2010:||late night veggies |
Sin Contaminantes, Festa
Butumbaba – Majikakonvinization|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 12/3/09
Ska/Reggae/Punk band from Argentina, who went on a long tour of Mexico and developed a mutual love affair which prompted this record into being. Excellent and interesting stuff, often going through several distinct genres in each song. Most songs have bits of talking at the ends, which is a bit shite, but other than that it’s totally waycool in my book.
No FCCs detected. I like 7, 9, 15 best, but it could just be the mood I’m in.
1. 4:49 ***vocal harmonies intro, then upbeat post-punk/ska. Dreamy sax and chimes bit in middle.
2. 5:46 **rasta sermonizing, then midtempo Latin dancehall (in patois) with alternating militant and relaxed feel.
3. 4:54 **downtempo, pretty roots rock reggae, sweet harmonies, in English.
4. 3:35 ***uptempo, complex ska, pretty harmonies in Spanish. Keen sax solo. Bit of metal attitude at end.
5. 3:13 **swingy, groovy midtempo ska, lush, paper umbrellas in your drink stuff. Also a bit crazy in bits.
6. 4:36 **some animated female preaching in Spanish, then dubby midtempo cover of the Specials classic. Ends with incomprehensible speeking.
7. 4:19 ****boopy blatty boppy little bappity boodle. Makes me happy.
8. 4:20 ***helicopter noises, then midtempo swingy skank with a bit of New Wave, or something. Sparkly bits in second half.
9. 3:22 ****starts off with a bang, then manic Latin ska. A bit heavy, a bit loopy – fun. Ends with a bit of talking.
10. 3:06 ***downtempo roots skank with prominent horns. Instrumental – really nice. Ends with lots of talking, in Portuguese.
11. 4:42 ***mid-uptempo roots skank, nice bounce. Gets mellow in the middle.
12. 4:03 **metal! Gosh! Turns into uptempo bubble. Goes dubby and slow, just to be more perplexing still. In English.
13. 5:38 **synchopated beats and chanting with squeeps, then rather uptempo dubby skank and philosophizing in patois.
14. 5:14 ***metal! A bit ska and a lot thrash, and spoken vocals in Spanish. Then goes totally uptempo ska. THEN goes downtempo dub skank – can’t keep to one genre at all!
15. 4:49 ****goofy female announcer, then downtempo, super mellow rocksteady. Mostly instrumental – sweet groove. Some very tasty horn solo.
16. 6:15 ***curt metal chords, then uptempo latin ska with a bit of slower dubby skank. Lots of energy. Ends about a minute and a half early, then at 1:16 from end there’s radio static and strange oozy skank.
|3.||To The Drums||11.||Todo Lo Que Crece|
|4.||Puerta Dimenzional||12.||Big Up|
|6.||Racist Friend||14.||Jumping To The Stars|
|7.||Sin Contaminantes||15.||Rocksteady Times|