|Elba / Don't Be Discouraged, Little Sparrow|
|Album:||Don't Be Discouraged, Little Sparrow||Collection:||General|
|Label:||Tin Drum Recordings|
|Add Date:||2011-02-27||Pull Date:||2011-05-01|
|Week Ending:||1 May||24 Apr||10 Apr||3 Apr||27 Mar||20 Mar||13 Mar||6 Mar|
|1.||Jun 02, 2011:||La Tristesse (B.A.B.S.B.) |
What You Need Is A Light
|4.||Apr 27, 2011:||The Independent Mind |
|2.||Apr 29, 2011:||Time Traveler |
What You Need Is A Light
|5.||Apr 20, 2011:||The Independent Mind |
|3.||Apr 28, 2011:||e hele aku a ho'i mai |
|6.||Apr 09, 2011:||Of Sound Mind |
Safety In Numbers
Purty good low-key indie rock. Mildly whiny offbeat male vox in line with Neutral Milk Hotel or Jimmy Eat World. A mostly gentle, mellow melodic sound with backdroppy lyrics. Fuzzy at times. Cool trumpet accents throughout. At times, reminiscent of “Oh, Inverted World”. The internets are not fully aware of this record, though it’s more than a year old. These kids are from Seattle. Their singer’s name is (wait for it) Nick Cappelletti... which explains their band name.|
RIYL: Male Bonding, Neutral Milk Hotel, Elliott Smith, Pinback
try: 5, 7, 3, 11
FCC: 1, 8
1. FCC “fuck” x2 rapid surf guitar strumming, bashy drums, nice minor bass.
2. rollicky bashy fuzz. trumpet soloing. cute boppy high-reg bass. earnest, but directionless.
*3. soft slow needlepoint synth, whistling, spare downbeat kit, lone electric. airy ethereal vox. sad, pseudo-cryptic lyrics: “you wake up asleep.” very cool segue to slow handclaps and “bah bah”s in the last minute.
4. beamy slurry electric and regal trumpet. really random raspy elliott smith vox. tempo changes. all the pieces are there! ends acoustic. abrupt stop.
*5. indie goodness. happy upbeat bopster, heavy rooted bass and fast strumming. sweet vox. muchly borrowed from “just like heaven”. parts of this actually remind me of the kitchens (of distinction).
6. slowish & sad lightweight acoustic + gentle vox. and... melodica!
*7. rapid dark minor fretwork. medieval sound. pinback would be proud. some nice death cabby harmonies break up the gloom.
8. FCC “fuck”, etc. fast punky strumming, muted trumpet. kinda decemberists. “whoa”s.
9. dreamy, vibey, waltzy acoustic... but not a waltz. elliott smith esque vox. yeah, elliott smith all over. you can sing parts of “amanda cecilia” over this. fade out or into next track.
10. sidewindy groovy bass. ambient noise. swells and gets reachy. bashy drum action, “ooh”s. a little bowie going on in here.
*11. dark, fast. rapid piercing minor electric. nice guitar + bass interplay. fuzzy, noisy, tons of riffage. rockin yet tempered. dejected “ooh”s.
12. slowish acoustic and delicate quirky singer/songwritery male vox. sounds quite a bit like pete doherty’s solo stuff.
|1.||Trillion||7.||What You Need Is A Light|
|2.||At Your Feet||8.||Minnesota|
|3.||Safety In Numbers||9.||Playback|
|4.||Feast Of St Anthony||10.||Gary's Psychedelic Tupperware Party|
|5.||Follow You Home||11.||Overseas|