|Various Artists / Sound System International Dub Lp|
|Album:||Sound System International Dub Lp||Collection:||Reggae|
|Artist:||Various Artists||Added:||Feb 2010|
|Add Date:||2010-02-21||Pull Date:||2010-04-25||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||Apr 25||Apr 18||Apr 4||Mar 28||Mar 21||Mar 7||Feb 28|
|1.||Mar 31, 2012:||New World Disorder |
|4.||Apr 11, 2010:||New World Disorder |
|2.||Apr 24, 2010:||New World Disorder |
|5.||Mar 31, 2010:||The Mobile Subject |
|3.||Apr 17, 2010:||New World Disorder |
|6.||Mar 25, 2010:||New World Disorder |
Sound System International Dub LP|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 2/18/10
Rock Steady in dub, from around 1970, by Clancy Eccles and King Stitt. The Dynamites were a top ranking (but naturally lesser known outside a yard) session band, and Clancy and Stitt seemed to particularly love fading in and out of dub during each track, which really adds to the fun. Even when the band is trying to play pop, they sound stoned and disorderly, and the tracks with toasting and talking are totally mad. This is what it’s about, no question.
No FCCs detected. I like 5 and 10 best, but all are great.
1. 2:34 **midtempo rock steady with farfisa.
2. 3:14 **slow, melodramatic intro, leading to dubbed up midtempo rock steady with bits of Nat King Cole-esque vocals.
3. 2:11 ***jaunty uptempo ska with King Stitt yelling wildly – top stuff!
4. 2:52 **very uptempo ska – rather light and fluffy, but with deep dub fading in and out.
5. 3:07 ****slinky midtempo lover’s rock groove with Stitt toasting, and an inscrutable conversation about other musicians.
6. 3:36 ***midtempo rock steady with a bit of syncopation and a buttload o’ dubness.
7. 2:59 ***bouncy whistle-while-you-walk stuff, dubs completely out to a bunch of blats, comes back with a romantic trumpet…
8. 2:52 ***midtempoish ska-ish something, with video game noises pre-dating video games. Oh, they might be radically dubbed up steel drums! Huh!
9. 2:29 **same riddim – in fact, I’m not sure what’s different at all…
10. 1:58 ****midtempo lover’s rock bubble with Stitt toasting and bits of original vocal harmonies.
11. 2:28 **familiar midtempo ska, largely dubbed to mostly drum and bass.
12. 3:39 **dramatic (and VERY old school) vocal intro, midtempo rock steady.
13. 2:50 **such a happy little riddim… Until the dub comes and mashes it to gooey little bits! Oh, how it struggles to get to the surface. Skips along for a few measures then gets dragged under again…
14. 3:12 **somewhat downtempo lover’s rock skank.
15. 3:04 ***trumpet salute intro, totally party-style midtempo rock steady. Lotsa nice horns, not major dub.