|Akai / Coldest Hour, The|
|Album:||Coldest Hour, The||Collection:||General|
|Add Date:||2010-04-25||Pull Date:||2010-06-27|
|Week Ending:||27 Jun||20 Jun||13 Jun||16 May||9 May|
|1.||Thu, 13 Jun 13:||V0LCADI0|
VOLCANO RADIO: THE FINAL SHAZAM
|4.||Thu, 10 Jun 10:||Trent Kay|
|2.||Tue, 22 Jun 10:||Anney|
|5.||Tue, 11 May 10:||Edna|
|3.||Tue, 15 Jun 10:||Anney|
|6.||Fri, 07 May 10:||Alan|
Akai-The Coldest Hour Is Just Before The Dawn (Self-Released)|
Cheery male/female vocalist expansive indie rock very similar to Stars and Fanfarlo. The production is less immediate than Stars or Fanfarlo but the sonic landscape is wider and bursting with random reverb soaked instruments. The tracks can run together because of their similar mood/feel and chamber pop overdoneness. The album is actually strongest when it ditches the chamber pop reverb, piano, and horns for a punkier, guitar/bass/synth driven sound. Those songs taken as singles would be VERY STRONG. So forgive the filler, and play the hell out the picks. FCC CLEAN. Play: 10, 9, 11, 5
1. establishes the band as an indistinguishable chamber pop band.
2. best piano driven track. Plodding, “moon and stars” love lyrics.
3. great and cheery music, melancholy lyrics, strong vocal melody
5.* simple but awesome, punkish, huge build up
6. cool vocoder experimentation
7. sounds like filler to me
8. the haunting but positive vocal melody in the background makes this track special
9. ***energetic beat, clear melody, distinctive vocals, powerful, all their strengths come together on this one.
10. ****ditches horns for cool synths, vocalists sounds so much like Jesse Lacey from Brand New. Punkier like 9.
11. **cool accordians, grabbing, almost a jazzy sexy feeling at parts
12. different higher pitched male vocalist. The production is a little overwhelming but the songwriting and lyrics are top notch here.
|1.||When The Sun Goes Down||7.||One More Candle|
|2.||Breath||8.||The Moon Remains|
|3.||Satellite||9.||Not In My Mind|
|4.||Paper||10.||An End Deserving|
|6.||Morning Follows Night||12.||As Long As It's Tomorrow|