Pop/Rock. Collection compiled/produced by the “Creative Belfast” arm of the Belfast City Council to help promote Belfast artists on the global stage. FCCs: 3,4. Faves: 3 (in safe harbor), 5,7,9,12,15,17 ~eme o.|
1. When Jackie Shone, Cashier No. 9 (3:48) Mid-tempo rock/alt-country. Guitar, bass, drums, m vox.
2. Ever So Shy, General Fiasco (3:24) Fast. Boppy pop-rock love song. Guitar, drums, bass, m vox.
3. Where the Wolf Roam, Strait Laces (3:19) FCC: “Shit.” Mid-fast rock. Fuzzy guitar. electronic tones, pounding drums, talk-singing on verses, shouted chorus.
4. Mobilise the Kids, Panama Kings (4:27) FCC: “Fucker.” Mid-tempo rock verging on soft metal at moments. Starts slow, picks up. Strummy guitar, keyboard, drums, m vox.
5. All For Nothing, Fighting With Wire (3:01) Fast rock. Guitar, drums, bass, m vox, dude getting a bit stalkery trying to win back his love, 90s/00s teen film soundtrack.
6. Tuppenny Nudger, Lafaro (3:32) Mid-fast, heavy rock, head-nodding tempo. Rough-voiced singer. Stone Temple Pilots-ish.
7. A Little Bit of Solidarity, ASIWYFA (3:25) Fast, melodic instrumental. Goes through a few tempo changes but keeps the energy up. Abrupt end. Full name: And So I Watch You From Afar.
8. The Cleansing, In Case of Fire (3:33) Fast 90s-ish rock. High energy, jumps to attention. Indictment of someone’s bad behaviour. Guitar, bass, drums, m vox.
9. The Heart That Knows Desire, Joe Echo (3:43) Slow, ambient start, guitar adds in, then percussion, builds to mid-fast tempo. Guitar, drums, synth elements, m vox. Kind of a U2 ‘mellow yet important’ feel.
10. Nothing Comes Easy, Duke Special (3:40) Mid-slow. Pensive, sensitive. Whispered vox (thin voice), static vibrating guitar notes, piano, percussion, horn/trumpet/some brass instrument. M vox, f backing.
11. Coming Down, Aaron Shanley (4:21) Slow. Singer-songwriter vibe. Piano to start, then guitar, drums, etc. come in. Harmonica. M vox, f backing. This dude seems pathetically unhappy.
12. Firefly, Gareth Dunlop (3:33) Slow, folky/alt-country. Guitar, drums, bass, m vox, m harmony. Looks like he performed this song with Snow Patrol at some point.
13. Do I Ever Cross Your Mind, Eilidh Patterson (3:40) Slow, folky/country ballad. Acoustic guitar, pedal steel guitar(?), f vox, f harmony. Pretty.
14. Angry at the Sun, The Lost Brothers (3:01) Mid-slow, folky/country. Sweet, a little upbeat, a little sad. Acoustic guitar, another chiming sort of guitar sound, m vox(es).
15. Full Moon Child, Ben Glover (4:33) Mid-slow, Americana-esque, shades of Tom Petty/John Cougar Mellencamp. Sad. Guitar, drums, bass, horn, m vox.
16. Duke of Oklahoma, Anthony Toner (3:38) Mid-tempo, country. Jaunty tune, downbeat subject. Shades of Johnny Cash. Guitar, bass, drums, m vox.
17. The Car Song, Skip Moses (3:07) Mid-fast, toe-tappin’ country rock. Guitar, banjo (or mandolin), drums, m vox, f harmony.