|Amidon, Sam / I See The Sign|
|Album:||I See The Sign||Collection:||General|
|Add Date:||2011-03-27||Pull Date:||2011-05-29|
|Week Ending:||29 May||10 Apr||3 Apr|
|1.||May 23, 2011:||You Aren't Going to Sasquatch |
Pretty Fair Damsel
|3.||Apr 04, 2011:||Child's Play |
Way Go, Lily
|2.||Apr 05, 2011:||Bisous Bijoux |
Pretty Fair Damsel
|4.||Mar 28, 2011:||&tc. |
You Better Mind
Melancholy Folk – Sam Amidon has drawn inspiration from his ancestral connections to Appalachian folk to craft this album, a collection of original writing and covers of traditional folk and modern song covers. Characterized by Sam’s lackadaisical vocal delivery, with accents from heavy bass, strings, and a scattering of female vocals, Sam seems to intentionally flatten his vocal delivery, enough to make his covers hardly recognizable – and yet the subdued nature of these songs is what makes them so intriguing. No FCC’s.|
Vocals sound like Bonnie “Prince” Billy, Piers Faccini. Backing instrumentals like Sufjan Stevens'.
My picks: 1, 2, 3, 8, 10
1) *(3.32) Mid. Traditional folk lyrics and chord progressions with new wave production; ends with electric-feel.
2) *(4:18) Slow-mid. Meditative folk with whispery vocals. Floaty female vocals mirror the lead.
3) *(3:18) Mid, upbeat. Female co-lead provides variation in the vocals. Nice instrumental crescendos. Sheets of strings.
4) (6:15)Slow. Short, urgent yet trailing lyrical phrases with a lazy backing track. Sassy strings.
5) (2:29)Slow. Looping verses, nursery-rhyme feel.
6) (3:07)Slow-mid. Lyrics sound like from an Irish ballad, but with folk guitar.
7) (2:59)Slow. Simple harp-like guitar. Soothing, low-key lyrics.
8) *(3:56)Slow. The traditional song played as if for someone’s funeral (slow, meditative, but in a good way!)
9) (3:05)Slow. Tune set to the format of “She’ll be comin’ round the mountain when she comes”, but clearly slower, with banjo
10) *(5:22)Slow-mid. R.Kelly cover. Banjo, melancholy strings and duet with female Builds slowly throughout.
11) (3:42)Slow-mid. Disoriented vocal and instrumental interaction. Experimental feel.
12) (4:20)Slow-mid. Shorter version of #10.
|1.||How Come That Blood||7.||Kedron|
|2.||Way Go, Lily||8.||Rain And Snow|
|3.||You Better Mind||9.||Climbing High Mountains|
|4.||I See The Sign||10.||Relief|
|5.||Johanna The Row-Di||11.||Red|
|6.||Pretty Fair Damsel||12.||Relief (Single Edit)|