THE NATIONAL -HIGH VIOLET
as reviewed by mr. esq.
indie pop/alternative nation.
it's a little commercial, so i wonder if we should be playing it.
cross between killers&interpol (and whole post- 'interpool' to interpol's post punk, editors et al.)
regardless: totally love it! may be the best thing i've reviewed.
(i almost told parlovr to fuck off! -we nearly got a canadian divorce!) =this is a total beaut.
pick a song, any song=it'll be good(#7's the weakest, but still good. #'s 5&6 are the instant hits to the brain. #'s 2, 3, 9 &11 are the long term gems.) and, unlike the killers stuff, i don't get sick of it and wanna sell it at streetlight. speaking of which=I'M GOING TO GO BUY ME A COPY OF THIS!
FCC WARNING: #9
SUGGESTIONS: 2, 3, 5, 6, 9, 11 &ANY TRACK= ALL GOOD!
1. sweet subdued. sounds like something's wrong with the speakers, but there's not. interpol w/my bloody distort.
kinda -vaguely- reminds me of mighty lemon drops.
2. strummy start, pumpy joydiv drums come. processed morrissson vox. that angelic ghost cooing near end. very late 80's alt-rock. pick a slimy limey band -any slimy limey band- that made upper middle class chicks cream themselves =that's what this sounds like. 21 jump street, here it comes!
3. BEST SONG: haunts&hurts. this moves the blood. the beat, the refrain. it won't leave your head soon.
4. machine guitar begin. atmospheric. saddy sound. epicy.
5. ALMOST BEST SONG: i think this is about kurt cobain. haunty.
accordian begin. background vox like little ghost clouds off shoulders. really captures impending doom. captured.
6. okey: who does this song sound like to you? i'm thinking springsteen or u2. but i can't quite pin the fucker. and it's driving me nuts! (i can hear inxs' 'don't change a thing' as 'underbed' (?).) anywise: it's epic, baby.
7. compared to any other tracck, this thing's a total pussybitch.
however: it's still good. it's the happy in the saddy.
8. quiet, soft. acoustic git sound. campfire quality. sweet cheese.
9. ALMOST BEST SONG, BUT BETTER THAN THAT OTHER ALMOST BEST SONG: subliminally dancy. chances are, you can't play this because it's got a swear in it. but i can. because i'm in safe harbor. hee hee hee hee hee! bwaa hee hee hee hee hee....
10. late 80's limey&joydiv beat. wistful. sweet.
11. sad. beatles&westerberg write a song for 'heathers.'