|Dawuni, Rocky / Hymns For The Rebel Soul|
|Album:||Hymns For The Rebel Soul||Collection:||Reggae|
|Add Date:||2010-08-01||Pull Date:||2010-10-03||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||3 Oct||26 Sep||19 Sep||12 Sep||5 Sep||29 Aug||22 Aug||15 Aug|
|1.||Oct 02, 2010:||New World Disorder |
|4.||Sep 23, 2010:||Sunshine . . . in the (Morning And) Afternoon |
Walls Tumbling Down
|2.||Sep 25, 2010:||New World Disorder |
Road To Destiny
|5.||Sep 18, 2010:||New World Disorder |
African Reggae Fever
|3.||Sep 25, 2010:||Music Casserole |
African Reggae Fever
|6.||Sep 14, 2010:||Abra's BohemianWaves |
Rocky Dawuni – Hymns for the Rebel Soul|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 7/28/10
Roots rock reggae from Africa. The fifth album by the “Ghanian Bob Marley”. He’s apparently been on the cusp of global stardom for the last few albums – who knows, maybe this will be the one. It’s quite commercially produced, but not in an obnoxious way – it’s a bit sweet for my tastes, but pleasant to listen to, and Dawuni sings well and has strong lyrics. No FCCs. I like track 2 and 7 best.
1. 4:41 **brief squeeps and speaking intro, then midtempo mellow bubble w/ high horn fanfares.
2. 4:30 *****starts with gorgeous (long) sample from Ladysmith Black Mambaso, then strong downtempo groove (to the tune of Cherry Oh Baby!) – good sound.
3. 5:04 mellow downtempo smooth groove with wooble sounds, love song.
4. 4:33 **slow swingy percussion, acoustic guitar, between nyahbinghi and samba – mellow, but with serious lyrics.
5. 4:45 ***midtempo afro-jazz groove with female backing vocals, commercial sounding but pleasant.
6. 5:11 ***midtempo relaxed bubble. Bits of falsetto, both male and female backing vocals.
7. 4:15 ****falsetto vocals, stuttering downtempo bubble – interesting sound.
8. 4:40 **acoustic guitar strumming, midtempo folk/nyahbinghi with choir and tinges of Spanish guitar. Very pretty, not quite sure whether it’s all religious or has political overtones.
9. 4:54 **a bit downtempo one-drop/bubble, pop production. Jaunty whistling…
10. 3:55 ***bouncy downtempo bubble with a bit of Motown feel in the falsetto vocals, positivity lyrics.
11. 4:12 *acoustic guitar and finger snaps, sort of an island groove, song about love – pleasant.
|1.||Download The Revolution||6.||Road To Destiny|
|2.||African Reggae Fever||7.||Freefall|
|4.||Walls Tumbling Down||9.||Walk The Talk|
|5.||Master Plan||10.||Head Up High|
|11.||Take It Slow (Love Love Love)|