|Album:||New York Contemporary Five, The||Collection:||Jazz|
|Artist:||Shepp, Archie||Added:||Sep 2010|
|Add Date:||2011-01-09||Pull Date:||2011-03-13||Charts:||Jazz|
|Week Ending:||Mar 13||Mar 6||Feb 27||Jan 30||Jan 23||Jan 16|
|1.||Mar 08, 2011:||Rebop
|4.||Jan 29, 2011:||Music Casserole
|2.||Mar 03, 2011:||Orangeasm - Mooseport
|5.||Jan 23, 2011:||My Little Pony
Crepuscule With Nellie
|3.||Feb 26, 2011:||Music Casserole
|6.||Jan 22, 2011:||Overkill Radio
When Will The Blues Leave
1. Dissonant harmonies from the trumpet and sax bookend this long, energetic piece, with frenetic drumming accompanying the sonic explorations of Shepp and co.
2. A short, calm piece with a basic compositional framework, beautiful harmonies from the woodwinds while the trumpet plays the melody, occasional improvisation throughout.
3. Old-timey swingin’ song reminiscent of Sonny Rollins’ “Tenor Madness,” though of course Shepp adds his own brilliance to the piece with shredding and screaming sax. ALBUM HIGHLIGHT
4. A punchy number with surprisingly cohesive harmonizing and drum solos in the main melody, subdued yet skillful soloing follows.
5. Slow, somber, yet screaming solos from all the musicians, sounds like a free jazz eulogy.
6. Confounding harmonic textures begin the piece, with warbling solos over off-kilter drumming.
|1.||Cisum||4.||When Will The Blues Leave|
|2.||Crepuscule With Nellie||5.||The Funeral|