|Album:||Pine / Crossdover||Collection:||General|
|Artist:||Masters Of Reality||Added:||Nov 2010|
|Label:||Cool Green Recordings|
|Add Date:||2011-06-26||Pull Date:||2011-08-28|
|Week Ending:||Aug 28||Jul 3|
|1.||Aug 25, 2011:||Summertime Sunshine
The Whore Of New Orleans A) The Pharacies Fall B) The Wicked Flood
|2.||Jun 29, 2011:||Grace
Worm In The Silk
Label: Cool Green Records
Masters of Reality return without Ginger Baker on drums but still have a hard driving, but dreamy blues feel. This outing misses the eccentric english countryside gent feel but stretches out more experimentally. Kinda like if your dad's garage band didn't suck. MoR likes to keep it creepy, slow and talk about the understated oddness of american life. The bass playing is mixed down in general, as the simple but strong guitar licks and the often times marching band-influenced drums carry many of the songs. Lyrics are fairy tale-ish with a dose of the macabre. No FCCs on entire record. Stand out tracks: 3, 4, 7, 9, 11
1) uptempo beat lead into boogie fuzzed guitar meoldy line, Goss' slow paced chorus singing about someone saying they have nothing to do and he does not believe it.
2) slower swamp blues, gothically large guitars, impending doom. much like an absinthe drunk as the title suggests. moonlit mindset lyrics. song ends on a dime, prepare to load another track.
3) almost dub type beat, staggering guitar line. ends with talking lyrics backed by a nice femal vocal. "This is Robert Johnson from outer space..." creepy.
4) mid paced tom beats, almost kraut rock style, awesome mid range guitar line that the vocal play off. strange vocal break down and keyboards.
5) ballad feel, slow acoustic strumming, rolls on the drumset with lots of phase shfting. angelic gtr melody kicks in with bells and strings. some electric drums too. instrumental.
6) electric drums with a 'Radar Love' bassline, kick into the heaviest beat on the album. Goss' vocal delivery shines on this one. similar to rocking songs on last MoR album. 7th son of the 7th son motif.
7) band wakes up on this one. the chorus is snappy one about dancing with a feisty girl. danceable as all hell, feel of a late night summer party where everyone is letting it out.
8) "Owww, I love you Rose-ee" is the mantra of this one. catchy mid tempo stomp.
9) tribal new orleans beat constantly building up to the refrain: "dont send me away, i got no place to go" sung with heavy reverb, guitar walls make it all more enveloping. intense.
10) hard driver about love, with slow dreamy break downs, seems slightly like a filler track.
11) jam track, nice segue song for DJs to use when going from two different rock styles. The band really shows what's under the hood and rock it out something fierce. 9+ minutes.
|1.||King Richard Tlh||6.||Up In It|
|2.||Absinthe Jim And Me||7.||Dreamtime Stomp|
|3.||Worm In The Silk||8.||Rosi's Presence|
|4.||Always||9.||The Whore Of New Orleans A) The Pharacies Fall B) The Wicked Flood|
|5.||Johnny's Dream||10.||Testify To Love|