When Nicolas Jaar is not doing his undergrad studies at Brown, he’s producing some of the most interesting organic house around. Think Wolf + Lamb with slightly more experimental overtones and sound- tracks to old French movies.
Try: 8, 5, 6, 13
1) 4:49 Waves splashing, spoken word. Piano improv in the background. No tempo.
2) 3:23 Slow. Warm Rhodes keys, simple bass line and hand claps.
3) 0:48 Piano/string and random sample interlude.
4) 3:28 Long bass/vocal intro. Picks up a bit towards the end.
5) ** 5:22 One of the more focused tracks. Vocal house with typical Jaar sense of percussion and organic instrumentation.
6) * 4:09 Updated version of “I Got A Woman”. Thick kick drum, piano doodling and soft vocals.
7) 3:52 Spacey vocal effects, hiphop-ish beat. Deeeep bass.
8) ** 5:42 Long acapella intro, transitions to rumbling house. 9) 2:32 Ambient interlude, lots of real world samples, random sounds
10) 3:46 Female vocals, ambient and mysterious. Slow drum beat at 2:40
11) 1:59 Random souly samples, dirty drumbeat. Warped piano keys.
12) 0:23 Drum sound check
13) * 3:21 Looped guitar intro. Deep and pulsating, solid groove-work
14) 2:57 Warm pads, piano improv, and chopped up vocal samples.