|Obel, Agnes / Philharmonics|
|Add Date:||2011-11-06||Pull Date:||2012-01-08|
|Week Ending:||4 Dec|
|1.||Fri, 18 Dec 15:||Eliza Ridgeway|
The Peninsula Report
|4.||Thu, 05 Sep 13:||Victoria|
|2.||Tue, 04 Feb 14:||Victoria|
second meeting (sub)
|5.||Sun, 27 Nov 11:||Hillstreet & London-Bridges|
|3.||Wed, 25 Sep 13:||Victoria|
Agnes Obel is a Danish-born, Berlin singer-songwriter who uses simple melodious songs, that tend to be on the darker indie side of pop songs. It's like the end of autumn, or winter in an album. Influenced by Debussy and PJ Harvey. There is a delicacy to her music; think, a haunting Feist-like voice that manages to be elegant in a dreamy, rainy-day way. Bat For Lashes, but sweeter.|
Try: 2, 3, 5, 4
1. Short Instrumental--piano piece, doily whirlpools of notes, beautiful minute-ish interval -- need to make an announcement? This piece is a great backup
***2. Such a PERFECT HAUNTINGLY BEAUTIFUL SONG. Listen to this. Seriously. Piano plus vocals. Escalates in layers of lace like music.
**3. Lovely, rainy day in an old house song with guitar, piano, layered vocals, slow-midtempo
*4. Very early Joanna Newsom harp-type song, slow bounce of a song, thickens into a darker song when the layered vocals emerge
**5. Like an acoustic Little Boots, but imagine the tenori-on as a leaping harp, and then this thickens too into a deeper song, but still bright hopping threads through the whole thing, meanders; violin comes in, with choral, ethereal midtempo.
6. Instrumental, Carnival waltz bells, then piano
7. Vashti Bunyan, noir-esque wandering song, more jazzy
8. Piano and vocals: Haunting waltz, turns into a type of heavier song midway through the song but the buildup never fully happens
9. midtempo, Bright harp-like keys with dark vox, tick-tock rhythm--very Jesca Hoop. (Cover of John Cale's "I Keep a Close Watch"
10. Short instrumental -- Unnerving mystery-movie piano with cello
11. Downtempo, Very Feist vox, slow bounce of piano, accompanied by vox echoes, and sliding strings join in.
12. Mid-uptempo, think Elliot Smith "Baby Britain" -- dark vox with later strings, and repetitive piano.
|3.||Brother Sparrow||9.||Close Watch|
|5.||Beast||11.||Over The Hill|
|6.||Louretta||12.||On Powdered Ground|