|Royal Bangs / Flux Outside|
|Artist:||Royal Bangs||Added:||Apr 2011|
|Add Date:||2011-11-06||Pull Date:||2012-01-08|
|Week Ending:||Jan 8||Dec 11||Dec 4||Nov 27||Nov 20||Nov 13|
|1.||Nov 08, 2012:||A Family Affair |
Slow Cathedral Melt
|4.||Dec 08, 2011:||A Family Affair |
|2.||Jan 10, 2012:||Modern Donkey |
|5.||Nov 27, 2011:||Everything. |
|3.||Jan 03, 2012:||Modern Donkey |
|6.||Nov 24, 2011:||Palo Alto Pop Overthrow |
Faint Obelisk Two
Royal Bangs / “Flux Outside” / Glassnote|
Natives of Knoxville, TN who formed in 2005. Very drum-heavy pop rock (pop melodies over heavy distortions/drums). Vocals sound a bit like The Shins, solid, fairly high-pitched tenor. Electric guitars occasionally sound like a faster Ratatat (tracks 6, 9). Though the vocals are very strong, they often get drowned out by the heavy background. Most songs are uptempo, heavily distorted, and fairly catchy. They found a way to sound agreeable (familiar chords, not much discordant sound) and yet often not adhere to the traditional verse/chorus/bridge song structure, which is nice, but makes it hard for the song to get stuck in your head. Still, not too much of a distinct sound, but solid “get-you-pumped-up” indie rock. No FCCs detected. Favorites: 4, 3, 8, 9, 12.
Individual track reviews continued inside.
1. 2:41 Fast, hard-rock opener. Distorted instrumentals. What indie kids would headbang to.
2. 4:29 Begins with layered synth percussion, sunny electric guitars, occasional riff sounds a bit like a rock Irish jig.
3. *3:41 Strong beats paired with piano power chords, nice mix of minor chords, doubled vocals. Sounds like longing for a fast friendship that may have fallen apart.
4. *3:44 My favorite. Steady fast hard beat. Has a bit of a hard-rock gospel feel to it, theatrical vocals + organ-esque harmonies. Main song gets you so pumped, you kind of hate the instrumental bridge which interrupts.
5. 3:13 Frenetic drumming, slightly unorthodox beat. Turns into a melody, but mostly fast/loud.
6. 5:38 Slower, begins mostly ambient synth + sparse piano and vocals. Turns fast about halfway through, then compromises on moderate tempo rock for the last third.
7. 1:57 Echoing vocals, occasionally layered over fast rock. Nice minor chords in chorus, compliments fast pace nicely (slight contrast).
8. *3:31 Quick paced drums sound a bit like an updated cop-show theme. Has a bit of a 70s feel to it. Nice and poppy in comparison to the rest.
9. *5:38 Moderate rock tempo, nice electric guitar riff weaved throughout, plus nice solo in the middle. Pace picks up a bit in the middle and at the end.
10. 4:29 Cowbell beat, beachy electric guitars, mid-tempo.
11. 4:43 Vocals take center stage, over sparse keyboards/distortion, steady slow beat. Drums build a bit, and it sounds kind of anthemic. Voice has a hint of Bono in it.
12. *6:53 Organ-esque distorted keyboards open to give it a spooky feel. Distorted guitars continue, steady moderate pace. Voice sounds more emotional. Nice dark interludes with harmonic instrumentals, vocals.
|1.||Glass Helmet||7.||Loosely Truthing|
|2.||Fireball||8.||Faint Obelisk Two|
|3.||Back Then It Was Different||9.||Silver Steps|
|5.||Bull Elk||11.||Dim Chamber|
|6.||Bad News, Strange Luck||12.||Slow Cathedral Melt|