|Berg, Matraca / Dreaming Fields, The|
|Add Date:||2011-10-16|| ||Pull Date:||2011-12-18|| |
|Week Ending:||20 Nov||13 Nov||30 Oct||23 Oct|
|MC Dizzy Jackson|
From Nashville, Matraca Berg’s first release in 14 years. It’s folk, it’s country, it’s some lyrically heavy and heartfelt stuff. Her voice is sultry, smooth and wise. Mostly, the sound is comparable to an Emmylou Harris voice with a Daniel Lanois production. Instrumentation of guitars (acoustic, electric, lap and pedal steel), bass, drums, keys, accordion, strings. Dang, this is some good, good stuff. No FCC’s.|
*My Favorites*: 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10.
1. (4:21) Slow / Mid. Ethereal guitar and keys, mellow mood, plodding beat. Nice, soft vocal delivery.
2. *(4:07) Slow. Dreamy pedal steel, slow beat, lots of room. Echoey vocals.
3. (4:17) Slow / Mid. Acoustic guitar and vocal predominate, keys, pedal steel, drums.
4. *(4:00) Mid. Fuller sound here, more urgent with a driving beat.
5. *(4:04) Slow / Mid. Desolate mood with harmonica, pedal steel, accordion. Beautiful stuff.
6. *(4:30) Slow. Title track. Vocal, piano and cello. Tender vocal delivery and some great lyrics. Wow.
7. *(4:32) Slow / Mid. Song written for Nitty Gritty Dirt Band by Berg years ago. Acoustic guitar, accordion, drums. Nice.
8. *(4:20) Mid. Plodding bongo beat, vocal way out front. Full band, but lots of room. Cool strings and lap steel.
9. (3:41) Slow / Mid. Nice acoustic guitar, vocal both soaring and right here.
10. *(5:36) Slow. Slow paced with Berg in beautiful voice with backing vocals. Mellow beat and some nice electric guitar.
11. (4:19) Slow. Vocal with piano and strings. Mellow and ethereal.