|Reynolds, Graham / Difference Engine, The|
|Album:||Difference Engine, The||Collection:||Classical|
|Add Date:||2011-07-17||Pull Date:||2011-09-18||Charts:||Classical/Experimental|
|Week Ending:||31 Jul||24 Jul|
|1.||Jul 27, 2011:||Amazing Grace |
The Remixes: The Cogwheel Brain (Octopus Project Remix)
|3.||Jul 13, 2011:||Grace |
Movement Iii: Cam Stack & Crank Handle
|2.||Jul 20, 2011:||Grace |
Movement Ii: Ada
Part 1 Listenable modern classical, Part 2 post-rock. Two discs in one. First 5 tracks are movements of a piece (which can also stand alone) for strings, piano, and bass. And there are a lot of strings-7 violins, 2 violas, 4 cellos. Part 2 are remixes by various people of the tracks in part 1 which veer between post-rock and electronica. All tracks good.|
Difference Engine Concerto:
1. 1:09.Dramatic pizzicato intro. Strings dance and slide. Goes well w/next track
2. 4:51 Slow but tense strings, gentle piano acts as brief catalyst bringing strings down to quite middle & lyrical lament. Ends optimistic w/full ensemble.
3. 5:01 Percussive & scratched strings, catchy. Cello & viola sound gypsy. Should be a dance for skeletons or mantises.
4. 6:07 Reflective piano and strings in 1st half. 2nd half faster, more minimal strings, then back to calm.
5. 4:23 Screeky intro, fast and busy piano & ensemble, a little lyrical interlude overwhelmed by a tidal wave & storm of activity
6. 4:36 pizzicato string loop over 70’s sounding synths, good elements of old krautrock. Near end a heavy drum loop kicks it!
7.Noisy drum loop, buzzy bass. Ready for rap. Strings from original relatively unmolested until 2nd half where it goes in a new direction, more trip-hop
8. Sunny and cheesy intro, turns into a spy instrumental with a funky bridge
9. Minimal- solo very high pitched violin loops until halfway when a fast paced drum machine and revving-up sound take the tension up a notch- then a crows applauses- and back to gabber-speed beat
10.Gentle string intro, then a chill beat & synths mix with strings, mid-fast