|Gates Of Slumber, The / Wretch, The|
|Artist:||Gates Of Slumber, The||Added:||05/2011|
|Add Date:||2011-05-14||Pull Date:||2011-07-16||Charts:||Loud|
|Week Ending:||15 May|
|1.||May 14, 2011:||Overkill Radio |
This is a reliably rockin’ doom metal trio, here to bring you a lumbering mass of heavy riffs to pollute the void of your soul. There’s a new bass player holding it down, and I am impressed with how quickly this band got back on their feet (I saw them play two weeks after their original bassist died, and his replacement did a solid job). Slow, pentatonic riffage and melodic lamentation reminiscent of Saint Vitus—but these guys are from the Midwest, which gives their sound a decidedly different brand of misery, at some points distinctly unlike Wino. This is a solid statement from a confident band, and a mandatory listen for all those who know that DOOM is alive and well in the 21st century! (FCC: 3 “shit”)’’|
BEST TRACKS: 2, 4, 5, 7(!)
1. Slow Vitus-y doom that best exemplifies their influences
2. Heavy, headbangin’ and galloping riffs from start to finish!
3. Awwyeah, some uber-heavy, mid-tempo stop-start riffs and gravelly vox!
4. Somber, bemoaning doom lacking all hope for the failed human race.
5. Soft psychedelic intro followed by riffs that gradually rise in intensity, but still plods along with the ballad-y guitars of the beginning, and a menacing bassline carries it the whole way through.
6. Another solid rocker that is (relatively) upbeat and short, but an excellent change of pace.
7. OH FUCK! An epic crusher of a tune, DOOOOOM! For those who like their metal slow sometimes
8. Incredibly powerful riffs manage to sustain this tune for a full twelve minutes at the same slow tempo!
|1.||Bastards Born||5.||Castle Of The Devil|
|2.||The Scourge Ov Drunkenness||6.||Coven Of Cain|
|3.||To The Rack With Them||7.||The Wretch|
|4.||Day Of Farewell||8.||Iron And Fire|