This is Matt’s seventh release and a dang good one. Half these songs were co-written with a co-writers workshop between Austin and the Nordic countries. Chalk full of sounds from instruments not normally heard: glockenspiel, arpaxxe, banjolele, omnichord, papoose guitar. Lots of different styles including country, rock, bluegrass, Americana, but really unclassifiable. It’s kind of his own genre. All songs worth a play. No FCC’s.|
*My Favorites*: 1, 4, 5, 7, 9, 11.
1. *(3:27) Mid. Upbeat song about being in love. Banjo, guitar, cool percussion, handclaps.
2. (4:31) Mid. Mellow, plodding beat, chorus of backing vocals. Good country road song.
3. (3:22) Mid. Anthemic type song with backing vocals, organ, cello, percussion.
4. *(3:42) Slow / Mid. Title song, really beautiful. Sparse, country flair with acoustic guitar, percussion, wurlitzer. Great lyrics.
5. *(3;37) Slow / Mid. Quiet, sparse and mellow with banjo, backing vocals, whistling. Playful and cool.
6. (3;34) Mid. Upbeat with banjo, percussion, wurlitzer with female backing vocals.
7. *(3:33) Slow / Mid. Glockenspiel gives this a childlike quality, very playful, if a bit subdued.
8. (2:29) Mid. Really upbeat with great percussion and a papoose guitar.
9. *(3:42) Slow / Mid. Sparse, quiet song with acoustic guitar, horn, organ, cello, backing vocal. About a woman and a man. Great.
10. (3:28) Mid. Upbeat, plodding beat, a bit of Wilco, backing vocals.
11. *(3:02) Slow / Mid. Banjo, really playful, cheery tune, mellow and dreamy.
12. (1:50) Slow. Sparse with guitar and omnichord.