|Jayhawks, The / Mockingbird Time|
|Add Date:||2011-12-11||Pull Date:||2012-02-12|
|Week Ending:||29 Jan||8 Jan||1 Jan||25 Dec||18 Dec|
|1.||Jan 26, 2012:||The Songsmith Show |
|4.||Dec 22, 2011:||The Songsmith Show |
Pouring Rain At Dawn
|2.||Jan 05, 2012:||The Songsmith Show |
High Water Blues
|5.||Dec 15, 2011:||The Songsmith Show |
|3.||Dec 30, 2011:||The Songsmith Show |
High Water Blues
|MC Dizzy Jackson|
The Jayhawks started playing in the mid-80’s out of Minnesota and over the years became influential in alt-country, folky circles. This album is their first since 2003 and finds them carrying on that tradition, in addition to some other sounds like prog. It’s an adventurous album of styles, but still stays on course. Some interesting, fun and deep lyrics. Instrumentation of guitars, bass, drums, keys, violin, harmonica. No FCC’s.|
*My Favorites*: 1, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 11.
1. *(4:00) Mid. Big sound, tambourine strikes, big keys, strings, harmonies. A bit of a Beatles sound. The song soars and it’s quite nice.
2. (3:36) Mid. Has that ’60’s folky sound - but a bit fuller. Jangly with harmonies, driving beat, cool and quick guitar flourishes.
3. (5:52) Slow / Mid. Lonesome guitar and lap steel, bleak sound, plodding beat, piano. Song touches on the past; lyrically rich.
4. (2:36) Mid. Upbeat with tambourine strikes, driving beat, catchy, poppy.
5. *(5:06) Mid. Energetic beat, very different from the other songs with lots of stuff going on. Folky, bluesy, punky, ? Is that a sitar? autoharp? Great with some interesting lyrics.
6. *(5:08) Slow / Mid. Title track. Piano intro, then band enters, drums, guitar, bagpipes? Reflective, somewhat solemn song. Great stuff.
7. *(3:55) Mid. Guitar / vocal intro, then band. Majestic, epic feeling. Beautiful.
8. *(3:54) Mid / Fast. Guitar-driven with harmonica, good beat, bass. Has a bit of a prog / psyche feel.
9. (3:41) Mid. Another ’60’s folky feel, acoustic and electric guitars, tambourine strikes, keys. Gets rockin’ toward end.
10. *(5:25) Mid. A bit ominous with violin. Jangly beat, guitars, bass. Proggy, folky. Cool.
11. *(3:23) Mid. Laid-back acoustic alt-country-ish number.
12. (3:45) Mid. Upbeat with crunchy guitar, big sound and rockin’.
|1.||Hide Your Colors||7.||Stand Out In The Rain|
|2.||Closer To Your Side||8.||Cinnamon Love|
|3.||Tiny Arrows||9.||Guilder Annie|
|4.||She Walks In So Many Ways||10.||Black-Eyed Susan|
|5.||High Water Blues||11.||Pouring Rain At Dawn|
|6.||Mockingbird Time||12.||Hey Mr. Man|