MATT HAIMOVITZ & UCCELLO: Meeting of the Spirits
CHAMBER JAZZ – This rules: Haimovitz and his all-cello ensemble take on jazz pieces by Mahavishnu Orchestra, Miles Davis, Ornette Coleman, etc. Guitar (John McLaughlin), drums (Matt Wilson) and keyboard make a few appearances, but other than that this is nothin’ but cello, ranging from a duo to an octet, and it’s all really good! Love it.
Fo’s Picks: 1, 3, 4, 5, 8, 9
1. 5:57 – delicate layers, pause… then bold & aggressive with sinuous guitar
2. 3:24 – relaxed walk for 8 cellos, carefully constructed harmony
3. 3:37 – drums vs slashing cello trio, careening wildly thru Ornette Coleman
4. 7:00 – a quiet blues with a classical air: pizzicato cello duet trades off
5. 8:29 – tense, driving: hot drums & cool keyboard add some fusion spice
6. 6:39 – cello quartet, very slow: sad, then languid, abstract, back to languid
7. 5:24 – full octet, cinematic suspense: dark and driving with creepy breaks
8. 2:38 – cello quartet brings a bit of swing, playful soloing & good interplay
9. 7:57 – full octet: very cool version of a great Charles Mingus tune!