|Ramesses / Chrome Pineal|
|Add Date:||2012-01-22||Pull Date:||2012-03-25||Charts:||Loud|
|Week Ending:||11 Mar||12 Feb|
|1.||Mar 10, 2012:||CATHARSIS |
|2.||Feb 11, 2012:||Catharsis: for Phil Mathieu (1961-2012) |
Crushingly slow doom metal injected with a psychedelic serum. You'll be lucky to escape from this album with your soul intact. Hellish vocals and massive distorted guitars make for a delightfully evil experience. The mix isn't great; the drums sometimes lack power, and the overall sound can be murky (in a bad way). This is especially true of 4 and 5, which isn't surprising since they're live recordings. Recommended overall, though, especially the first few tracks. Even those who aren't usually big on metal will dig the first track. I promise. RIYL: Electric Wizard, Cathedral, Sleep, Eagle Twin, Fistula, METAL. No FCC's detected; lyrics are, for the most part, incomprehensible|
Track reviews on back.
1. (9:25)*** Instrumental. Mighty, psychedelic, awesome. Slow to develop. Guitarist uses exotic scales nicely.
2. (6:24) Much heavier. Messy, chugs along. Wicked vox.
3. (5:06)*** Super slow. Crushing chords under a muffled radio recording.
4. (4:58) Demonic vox. Rumbling tom-heavy drums. Really murky mix. (No wonder! Turns out it's a live recording.)
5. (6:21) Much like 4. (Also live.) Sounds like zombies trying to crawl out of a mudhole.
6. (8:02) Live. Heavier on the psychedelics. Alternates b/n crushingly heavy and spacey. Very, very evil.
|1.||Chrome Pineal||4.||The Tomb|
|2.||Blazoned Fauna||5.||Before The Jackals|
|3.||Men Of Horror||6.||Black Domina|