|Add Date:||2012-01-29|| ||Pull Date:||2012-04-01|| |
|Week Ending:||1 Apr||18 Mar||11 Mar||4 Mar||26 Feb||5 Feb|
The eclectic, daring Icelandic singer Bjork surprises and pleases once again with a beautiful mix of electronica and rich vocals. Most songs are delicate-feeling with a prominent but tastefully subdued use of electronic beats and synthesizers. The fusion between organic and inorganic textures is enchanting. “Biophilia” (which refers to the bond between human beings and the cosmos) is actually of multimedia collection comprised of iPad apps, installations, and live shows,” so this is just a piece of a larger puzzle. Worry not, however: the album stands well on its own. Bjork’s voice is unparalleled, and her compositions are brilliant, filled with subtleties. In other words, PLAY THIS. Especially riyl: Massive Attack, Kate Bush Portishead, Radiohead. It’ll appeal to pop fans and experimental people alike. My favorite tracks are marked, but it is impossible to go wrong. No FCC’s. |
Track descriptions/recommendations inside.
Those who seek something more conventional: play 3, 1, 7.
Those who live off the beaten path: play 4, 6, 9.
1.*** (5:45) Wow! Beautiful, in a dreamy, gentle way. Harps, pixie-like vox, elegant synth bass.
2. (5:15) Slightly funereal, heavy on electronics. Mournful vox harmonies.
3.*** (5:08) The single. Jangly, curious-- until a nasty beat enters a few minutes in. Beware: cuts out with six secs left.
4. (5:01) Soft and dreamy, with a strikingly unsettling ending.
5. (3:22) Fascinating. Droney, with tense vox harmonies.
6.*** (5:50) Dark, driving, slightly disfigured. Odd tonality. Beware of gap with 1:15 remaining.
7.*** (5:26) Very sweet, almost childlike. Happy, jangly percussion.
8. (4:02) Contemplative and organic. High-velocity beats are used cleverly for tension-building.
9.*** (5:06) Awesome. Alternates between solemness and restless, daring electronica.
10. (4:42) Gentle harps and rich vocals. Melancholy, pensive.
11. (7:08) Longer version of 6.
12. (3:25) Much richer, more vivid version of 5.
13. (3:51) Manic drumbeat, distressed vocals. Feels primal, out of control.