|Browne, Michael Jerome / Road Is Dark, The|
|Album:||Road Is Dark, The||Collection:||Blues|
|Artist:||Browne, Michael Jerome||Added:||11/2011|
|Label:||Borealis Recording Co.|
|Add Date:||2011-12-04||Pull Date:||2012-02-05|
|Week Ending:||18 Dec|
|1.||Dec 15, 2011:||The Songsmith Show |
Doin' My Time
|MC Dizzy Jackson|
Multi-instrumentalist out of Canada with his fourth release. Whether it’s guitar, banjo or viola he’s playing, it’s all top-notch. Blues with some country / bluegrass stylings. Most songs are just Browne, a few with a washboard, one with full band. Great, great stuff. Every song worth a play. No FCC’s.|
*My Favorites*: All.
1. (3:29) Mid. Beautiful picked guitar with slide work. Driving, urgent and heartfelt.
2. (2:51) Mid. Upbeat with guitar and washboard. Insane guitar.
3. (5:01) Slow / Mid. Title track. Dark mood, Hollow voice.
4. (2:55) Mid. Country blues, Ominous feel. Short, powerful finish.
5. (3:51) Mid. Old blues, circa Robert Johnson, played on a “pink kids’ guitar”. Nice.
6. (3:29) MId. Upbeat, despite the lyrics. Driving and dang good.
7. (4:05) Slow. Dirge about the singer’s mother dying. Very deep stuff.
8. (2:39) Mid. Old timey rag with washboard. Energetic.
9. (3:53) Slow. Banjo and guitar. Dark.
10. (2:56) Mid. JB Lenoir song. Bright and upbeat with guitar and washboard.
11. (4:35) Slow. Reverend Gary Davis song. Death song. Lonesome.
12. (3:38) Mid / Fast. Mandolin, harmonica, guitar, bass. Upbeat country / bluegrass / blues song. Killer.
13. (3:41) Slow / Mid. Viola, fiddle, guitar. Country blues.
14. (4:02) Slow / Mid. Sparse with guitar. Echoey and very cool.